ideas & info on new future project

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 26ft shrimp boat that has a as of now blown 351 engine. my plans are to use the 6.9 thats in my old not driven truck, and install it in the boat. the boat is inboard so the engine would have to be adapted to a bourg warner velvet drive clutch thats in the boat now. to do the swap i would have to have a bellhousing and a damper plate to fit a standard trans flywheel. my question is does ford make a diesel standard trans that the bellhousing is seperate from the rest of the transmission? ive heard rumors that a bellhousing for a 460 is the same as our diesel bellhousing exept for the top bolt. can anybody elaborate on these ussumptions.

suv7734

Reaction score
There were a marine versions of the IDI available for a while. I can't remember all the mods done to the engine but it made more HP than the ones in the truck. Wet exhaust manifolds, different IP are a couple of things that come to mind.
The oldertrucks with the 6.9's used the T19 trans so there is a bellhousing available. The 460 is different. Someone made one work but it's not a bolt-in or easy job.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the marine kit for our engines are to rich for my blood. if i can remember back when i checked into buying one the whole kit was like $12,000.00. the bellhousing is my main concern along with finding a flywheel for a standard trans. the water cooled manifolds arent too much of a problem other than building them out of stainless. ive built them for other engines just not this one. i remember awhilke back someone saying a 460 will fit, you just have to modify the two top bolts. i believe this is correct.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dowel pins and bolts don't line up. I do transmission work for a living and can tell you for a fact they don't line up. It can be done but it requires on heck of a lot of grinding. You also have makes sure the center of the bellhousing is centered with the crank otherwise you can wipe out the clutch and pilot bearing and eventually the crank and input shaft of the transmission

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like when i do the marine conversion, ill have to look for a bellhousing off of a t19 trans. i wonder how hard that will be to find?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if I get to ohio first I'll bring my spare back with me. I'm not far from you. I'm just over in beaumont texas.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just get a bellhousing from a diesel T19 there are plenty of them out there still. I'm not sure if the 460 and 6.9 flywheel are the same or different. I bought the bellhousing for my T18 swap from a member here that was converting from T19 to ZF5 and got my clutch/clutch fork/flywheel off of ebay for about 87 bucks for everything. You can marinize that 6.9 by yourself for a lot less than that kit I'm sure. Get yourself a Moose or DPS pump or a hot DB2 or DB2/4 hybrid built at your local shop you speak of, then a set of Moose Misters and that would be one heck of a powerhouse. Of course you need an air/water intercooler and a big **** turbo or two small ones, head studs etc. Oh boy... hahah well I hope I helped some I've done enough fantasizing and spending your money for now.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Brimmstone. You're brave selling your spare bellhousing, I wouldn't mind having an extra in case mine cracks someday....

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The top 2 bolts on the 460 bell will work and thats it. As said find a t19 bellhousing.
I machined my diesel zf to accept my 460 way back when , it can be done but it is time consuming.

Does that marine gear have a round sae bell pattern or does it bolt right up to the 351?

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may no longer be in ohio but I still have all my salvage yard connections there. I regularly call them to get parts as yards here in Texas think everything they have is gold. I know for a fact the one yard has 4 bells sitting on a shelf two of which are tagged as being mine if needed.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no. in order to put a velvet drive clutch on the 6.9 i would have to buy a bellhousing and what they call a damper plate to fit the 6.9 diesel. the marine bellhousings are already machined to fit a velvet drive clutch and you order to fit your engine. the damper plate bolts to a standard trans flywheel and has splines that engages the input shaft on the clutch. im trying to get out of buying a marine bellhousing and find one that fits a standard trans and modify it to except a velvet drive clutch. if a 460 marine bellhousing would fit with maybe the exception of just a bolt or two out of alignment i can purchase those all day long. ive been looking for quite some time and havent found a marine 6.9/7.3 one yet.

jtate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may no longer be in ohio but I still have all my salvage yard connections there. I regularly call them to get parts as yards here in Texas think everything they have is gold. I know for a fact the one yard has 4 bells sitting on a shelf two of which are tagged as being mine if needed.
just like the salvage yards here and the closer you get to new orleans the worst it is lol. the yards here are not like the yards we had when i lived in the country. these here dont even let you go in the yard and pick what parts you want.

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 6 yards in ohio that I have keys to the gate and the shop. It's always funny to pull the truck into the yard and then walk in the back door just as someone is lugging a bunch of tools into the yard and they see the chest in the back of the truck along with torches and compressor. I used to make a good chunk on my yard runs pulling things for other people.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
mr tate.
My company has a large shipyard there in Houma. Weeks Marine.
Anyway, we're doing all of our re-powers there in Houma and or Bourg.

Lotta marinized 4-71 and 3-71 detroits are getting pulled out and Caterpillars are getting put in.
Wonder what they'd sell a 71 for? a 4-71 probably doesn't weight a hell of a lot more than a 6.9 and they already are set up for keel cooling.

Drew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer