ICP Code P 2258 ICP

tanksoldier

Reaction score
Hi all, first post.

I'm putting it here because I have the same trouble code: P2285, ICP Sensor Circuit Low.

My truck is a stock 2003 F250 6.0L with just a hair under 85,000 miles. I had Advance Auto clear the code, it came back within 24 hours.

Is it likely that the sensor itself is bad, or is this an indication of the dreaded injector problems some 6.0Ls seem to be plagued with?

When the truck is cold I'm getting RPM surges. Once warmed up they seem to go away.

Is the sensor something I can replace myself? It's placement, rear top of the engine, seems a bit tough to get at...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I broke this post out into its own as the other thread was an older one.

I doubt you are having injector problems, the lemon 03's usually showed those issues pretty early on and your rig is pushing 7 years old with 85K on the clock. But you could have a bad ICP sensor or there were quite a few cases of chaffed wire harnesses.

We've got a member here that goes by the name snicklas that had this issue on his 6.0L. Hopefully he will chime in and give some advice.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Tanksoldier,

I am having the same issue with my 6.0L. I have not taken it into be fixed, however I have talked to a Good / Highly Recommended Dealer in my area. You can have one of several issues causing the same problem. The obvious one is the sensor had failed, which means you replace the sensor. The wire chafing issue that Mike talked about, a wire/s that have rubbed and now have a bear spot shorting out. Do you have an oil leak from the back of the engine? The sensor could be leaking, or the fitting that the sensor goes into is leaking. Mine is leaking, it is a very slight drip that has not even registered on the dipstick. (The full to add marks on a 6.0 is 2 QUARTS) This leak can get oil into the electrical connector causing the sensor to not communicate. There is a pigtail they replace to resolve the chafing or "wet" connection issue. I have been told by a dealer (NOT the one that I am going to use) that an ICP replacement is almost $500 (Which I believe is what the book says). The recommended dealer that I am using told me that is worst case, as the sensor is expensive, the other problems are fairly easy to fix and the parts are not very expensive, could be as little as $150. I have been driving it some, and I see some of the issues that you are describing. Fixing the issue with the sensor should cure that... the ICP controls the engine idle via the HPOP. Also one other problem besides the ICP that can effect the performance is the Routine maintenance. Make sure you change oil at 5K and the Fuel Filters at 10K and I would use only Motorcraft Filters. I can feel a definite performance change between a new set of fuel filters and one that has 10K on them. I would ask around an find a recommened garage that is QUALIFIED to work on the 6.0L. Just because it is a Ford Dealership doesn't mean they have anyone trained to work on the 6.0L. I am actually going to drive about 70 miles to the dealer I plan on using. If you do plan on changing it yourself I have heard that it is accessed from the bottom, I have seen on SDD that someone saw a tech at a dealership replace it from the top. I have only looked from the top and I am not sure how to get to it. If thery were and 04-07 the ICP was moved to the front of the right head in the oil line, like the 7.3 had, the left rear was an 03 only thing. I hope this helps and I am sorry for the long post. I hope to get mine in, in the next few weeks. I will post the results back when I have it repaired.....

2strokers

Reaction score
The ICP should cost about $170. I have one if you need to try it. I replaced mine and that was not the problem. It was the FICM and the dealer has to program it so it will communicate with other onboard computor.$1100