I think my turbo just went......

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
I don't know much about turbos but i would not drive it like it is. I would check to see how much endplay is in the shaft. i guess if you have a steathascope you could start the engine and put the steath up to the turbo and then you would be able to hear any abnormal intenal noises.

A friend of my dad's used to have a early '90s chevy w/ a turbo diesel and he said when the turbo went out on it the engine had no power at all.

Good luck

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the bearing went bad you need to find out why. Don't run the truck. If the turbo is rubbing the wheels on the housing its going to spit part. Going out the exhaust isn't so bad but if the inlet wheel rubs the housing those parts get into the cylinders. No metal in the cylinders is good for any engine. The longer you run it the more damage you make on the housings and wheels. Usually the inlet aluminum wheel rubs first. Thats cheap and easy to replace. There will be machining needed to the inlet aluminum housing. If the hot wheel rubs generally thats an expensive part because they are inconel and the shaft is part of it. Time to look deeper into this noise.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Here is how mine went.

At idle it first sounded like a siren, as the rpms of the turbo were going up and down in a sin wave like matter. Seriously sounded like a siren in the distance.

That happened for about 100 miles. Then turbo started making a weird noise when giving it throttle. Eventually Turow was making a super word noise (aka compressor wheel the housing) and at WOT it made 1.5psi of boost.

She was toast.