I sometimes get fed up.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost cried the day I sent the truck below to the scrapper. It feels horrible .. poor truck .

Attachments

• IMAG0312.jpg
    IMAG0312.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 29

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hope i'm not in the moron club?? I do tend to ask alott of Q's, but i'm still learning the in's and outs of these idi's..

your not alone.the more i read (the more i probably forget too lmao) the more i realize how little i know still.:rotflmao

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As mentioned before, this is not only a great resource of info, but is also a bit of an opinion site.

I can totally relate to Typ4's angst regarding someone coming in the shop, buying someone elses product, then comes back for either more advise.... like on how to install it.... after the nerve of buying elsewhere....As you've probably noticed... I'm a bit of a prolific writer... imagine me in person when dealing with customers...TMI!!!! But, I'm also still in business while others are not.

I've been on here for a few months now, asked all the same questions as any newb would, feel a bit red faced on some of my Q's, but really appreciate the responses. Many times the newb will be in dire straights "right this second", all too stressed out to look around for the many threads on the same subjects.

As a person who know boats, but not automotive, I could easily spend the time to trace wires, look for all the fuel plumbing, figure out a window relay and motor, etc. But you guys and gals are such a great resource, that I take some liberties and ask those silly questions, try to participate in things I know from experience.... on here it is all systems theories because they apply across all engine types and styles no matter if marine or terra stuff.... try to give back a little something I've learned from you all.

There's a least ten people on here who have either directly helped me or indirectly on the top three issues- GP system, fuel system and charging system. This doesn't include the window motor installation cheats, the fuel pump advice, transmission characteristics-symptom indicators, power band ranges, shift points, turbo opinions etc.....

That just off the top of my head.

That said.... get a person who comes into the shop, wastes 40 minutes of time seeking advice, then buys elsewhere and calls back.... that's just downright rude!!

I think some of the pro's around here can blow a gasket every once in awhile. Funny thing is.... they must feel pretty comfortable around here to do it with the board members. Kinda like being bitchie with your family every once in awhile.

As for those of us asking those dummie Q's... keep 'em coming. In nearly every repeat problem thread, I've gleaned one more piece of info to apply to a potential and likely sitchyashun in the future.

Afterall... these are hard working trucks with a lot of demand placed on them... can't expect them to keep ******* loads without something giving up every once in awhile.

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
If you think its bad with IDI's, try 6.0's! Or, worse yet,... Harleys, or even worse yet Guns!
Seriously, you cant help everyone and no mater where you go you will find "that one" that you are referring to! I have been around this forum since the forddiesel days and "that one's" come and go. Thankfully most of them didnt come here!
Theres more good knowledge here than anywhere else when it comes to IDI's and thats why I still read here (more like lurk).
Ken

eatont9999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear ya. It can be frustrating when people don't listen to you.

I ask some dumb questions sometimes but I usually get good answers. I like to hear multiple opinions from different people before I decide to do work on my truck, so I can choose which fix works best for me and my situation. Also, if I read a 5 year old forum post, who's to say there isn't new/updated info or someone with a better idea that has come along since?

If anyone is a member of FTE, you may remember my IP and injector install thread that was something like 25 pages long. I had a hard time setting the timing on my IP. I had the procedure down and I followed everyone's advice to the T. The one thing I did wrong was use the inspection port for the timing probe. I posted my problem here at OB and I think Russ was the one to point out my mistake. After following his advice, I got the truck in time and then I diagnosed a bad injector after that.

I appreciate all the help I have gotten and I will help others with things I am confident helping them with. If they don't want to follow the advice, I'll buy the truck for scrap price if they are close enough. I say be stupid at your own cost and I'll reap the benefits.

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
Sorry Russ, my thread probably added to this but I am learning A lot and appreciate the help from eveyone even though it they've explained it a million times already...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We're all still learning.
IMHO truer words have not been spoken :thanks:

I've been running an IDI for over 11 years now and have torn pretty deep into more than one IDI engine, and have been playing with diesels since I was 14 years old (a good 16 years ago now), and I still freely admit that there is a lot that I can learn from others. IMHO the day you stop learning is the day you die.

I understand Russ's frustration...I've been frustrated myself over a number of issues on this board over the last few years. However, at the same time, this site is one of the best resources I have ever seen, and I try to do what I can to help keep it that way...although, try as I may, I don't think I could give back even 1/10th of what I've learned on here as well as F-D.com/TDS back in the day. I've said it before, but THANK YOU to Mike, Calvin, Gary, Russ, Mel, Travis, Ron, and everyone on here for making this site what it is ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
russ-
you know what I have going on here. I get milked for info on how to get an insurance claim settled and then they want a deal on top of all the time I spent on helping them get their claim settled. I reward myself with very stiff "Long Islands" on friday evenings and a 30oz prime rib. all my stress from the week goes away for a few hours.:D;Sweet
as far as who I offer help to here, I will take a look at their history first and them choose to offer advice/assistance.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
If anyone is a member of FTE, you may remember my IP and injector install thread that was something like 25 pages long.

that thread rings a bell.LOL

i have been on here a while now so i somewhat understand the basics of some things on these trucks but if i was brand new to these trucks and say had a couple bad injectors(not knowing they were bad) and it sounded like a rod was going to be thrown out the oil pan, i would not be trying to search threw past threads. i would be posting up my issue asap and i know you guys on here would not be like "hey moron use the search function, this has been covered before." i have become a more active member on FTE and i obviously frequent this site a little bit. i like this site and i like FTE. both sites are knowledgable and of great help. i to have posted the same issue/thread here and there for the same reason that Eatont9999 said, everybody has an opinion and you need to decide what is best for your situation.

i know that i have had a couple lenghty threads that dealt with that damn low brake pedal. the first thread i had ,everybody kept giving me diag info:hail. even though i was not physically performing some of that diag work i was still learning and trying to understand it.

for those of you that have posted about hoping you are not the reason for the start of this thread: don't worry! if you have a legit issue and are acctually taking everybodies suggestions and learning from them then you have nothing to worry about. you don't have to only ask about something once you have an issue with your truck. it is called learning. i would rather learn the warning signs of say a starter going out or a torque converter dying rather than be stranded somewere with a blown tranny or a dead starter if it was something that i could have done preventive maintinence on or have corrected the issue before it left me stranded. i know lately i have posted some things about parts on my truck that are working fine and it seems like i am looking for something to fix or replace but i am trying to gain knowledge and learn about these trucks. absolutley nothing wrong with that.

Last edited:

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
First off, Mods, move this if you like.

After being on many forums seeing guys with these trucks with problems. And keep in mind we probably have the, or one of the, easiest engines to repair
someone walk them step by step thru the repair process and it still acts up,
they have a fit, glowplug problems come too mind, easy system, fix it right or do a push button mod. Either works, then a starter goes out and they are ready to "scrap this piece of **** " its broke again.. Well you likely bbqed the starter grinding on it, and the batts also.

I DONT GET IT .

Makes me reluctant at times.

The other things that puckers my ass is asking the same question across 5 or 6 forums and getting the exact advice, then not doing it and ******** cause it didnt work.:dunno

Sorry for the rant but it really bugs me sometimes.
Russ

I'll reply with an ages old adage here.....

You can lead a horse to water.....

But you can't fix stupid. (or at least I think that's how it goes?)

:D

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
I have to admit I have not searched at times nearly as much as I could have before posting a question, but like most, we want to solve the problem without having to ask the question.

I see it a lot on forums, but mainly in life where a lot of the younger generation comes in, needs help with something, and then practically either want it done for them, or as Russ put it so nicely, wants to either question your ability or wear you down until you are ready to give in and just do it to shut them up. Then to top it off, they have no appreciation and even talk ****! It is a sense of entitlement that they have for no apparent reason. Humility and humbleness are forgotten with a lot of younger people (some older too).

I MEAN NO DISRESPECT TO OUR YOUNGER MEMBERS - most all of you do not fall in the above.

This is my second IDI. each has had their own unique problems that I would have had no way of solving without this site.

I have gained a lot of knowledge from here and hope some day I can give back and help as much as a lot of the older members!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online