I need some fresh ideas or.... I'm buying a new truck.

RedTruck

Reaction score
Heath,

First off I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles.

I started reading this thread when you first posted and just saw it resurface tonight. I have browsed through it.

I'm sure it's been mentioned and you have a good reason for it, but can't you pull the engine out of your regular cab and use it in the crew for the rest of the year? I'll even offer to help out. I'll be in Indianapolis next week with a free weekend (10th-11th). You can't be that far away. I'll run down and we can both pick a side...wait...you can have the turbo side...

I'm serious about the help if you can use it...whether it's pulling an engine or heads. One day or two.

Paul

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't blame you about not wanting others to work on your stuff. Good luck with the tear down. I hope it's clear what's wrong when you get in there.

Any trucks you could rent or borrow to keep the camping trip on line? Sucks when equipment failures keep you at home.

Shadetreemechanic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sucks to have to put the truck back on the disabled list, but if it hadn't of blown the gasket, you probably never would have trusted the motor becuase of its issues. At least now you know the problem for sure and can fix it right so there's a chance to trust the truck again.
Good luck.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
Sorry about your truck problems, Heath. I never guessed you would have anything but success with that truck.
I understand the lure of newer trucks but the 6.4 scares me...any PSD later than a 7.3 spooks me. Too rich for my blood when they break. My V10 is thirsty but reliable and cheap to keep running. It pulls well enough for me.

...And good luck with the wife. :) It sucks when they are crabbing on the sidelines.

Good luck whatever you decide!

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why not just do like finances have always forced us to do and have a nice staycation at home ??

You could sleep in the camper in the back-yard and roast weiners and have a big old time.
;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks alot for the advice and well wishes guys. I've been swamped with work this week and I haven't gotten jack done on the truck. NOTHING.:mad: But, I did help Dad get the Cat Forklift fixed Monday night and it is out of the way and I can get the truck in it's "please fix me again" hole in the shop. I hope to get something going this weekend.

I'm seriously bummed about how this summer had turned out with the crew cab. I put a lot of time into it and thought I had a reliable camping rig that wouldn't need more than oil changes for another 300K, but less than 6K and she's right back where she started. This time, it's "JUST" an engine pull and rebuild. It shouldn't take as long as the last time when I did a bunch of other stuff at the same time.

Heath

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I hear ya Heath,.. It has been very frustrating for you and frustrating for us to watch. You put all that time and effort into doing it right the first time and have an Beautiful Rust Free, rig with new mechanical to use and enjoy and,.. then this happens.

Another frustrating component is that it was not something that you could immediately put your finger on and know what the problem was (like you can at your job;Really) That makes it even worse when you don't know what to fix!

Chalk this summer up as being done, and get er ready for next summer! Keep us posted,..

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Heath,.. It has been very frustrating for you and frustrating for us to watch. You put all that time and effort into doing it right the first time and have an Beautiful Rust Free, rig with new mechanical to use and enjoy and,.. then this happens.

Another frustrating component is that it was not something that you could immediately put your finger on and know what the problem was (like you can at your job;Really) That makes it even worse when you don't know what to fix!

Chalk this summer up as being done, and get er ready for next summer! Keep us posted,..

Sure will buddy!;Sweet If I don't drive this truck to MI for the Rally with the camper hooked to it, I'm going to loose my mind.:eek::D I was really hoping to get some other stuff done this winter: put a new top end in my dirkbike, help dad work on some projects of his in the shop, maybe get the DT466 repower kicked off....... But, I've got to get this crew cab ready from next year. I hope to have better success this time around.

Heath

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well at least your not broke down on the way camping with the famliy.... I sure was concerned about you just driving it till it lets go. So now pull the engine. Remove the heads and take pics of what you find. Drain the block so no coolant is up around the heads when they come off. that way you will know what area is wet with coolant. A piston thats been getting some coolant on it will be much cleaner than the others. If there is no issues with the head gaskets you may find a crack in the intake ports under the valves so it wont be visible from the outside. You will need to remove the valves. Thats eaSILY DONE. Damn fat fingers hitting the caps key... Gees.....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I knew it was on borrowed time, but I did get two local camps in before she let go. I only had one more trip planned. I was going to take the family to Santa Claus, IN to camp at Holiday World on the 9th and 10th. 100 mile trip to and from...... aint' gonna happen this year.:cry::frustrate It's not easy to explain to a 4 year old why we can't camp next weekend.

Anyway, I'll certainly post up the autopsy photos for you guys to look over. I'm guessing one of the gasket had a flawed firering. If that's the case, I'm going to be less than happy with these Victor Reinz gaskets.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Whatever you do don't do what I did yesterday and go for a spin in a 2011 F350 C/C with the 6.7 in it.;Really

The dark side is very strong and powerful with that one.:love:

But the 60k price tag kept me in the passenger seat.;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do don't do what I did yesterday and go for a spin in a 2011 F350 C/C with the 6.7 in it.;Really

The dark side is very strong and powerful with that one.:love:

But the 60k price tag kept me in the passenger seat.;Sweet

If I were to buy a new(er) truck, it'd be a '08-'10... the last of the handshaker and IH powered Fords. The lack of a manual trans will keep me out of the local Ford lot forever I'm afraid.

Heath

wmoguy

Reaction score
If I were to buy a new(er) truck, it'd be a '08-'10... the last of the handshaker and IH powered Fords. The lack of a manual trans will keep me out of the local Ford lot forever I'm afraid.

Heath

Is any of the big 3 offering a manual trans anymore?

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is any of the big 3 offering a manual trans anymore?

You can still get a real transmission in Ford 2012 F650/750's. An Eaton Fuller FSO-8406 overdrive 6 speed........ if you pay for it as the Allison is standard equipment. If Ford, Dodge, or GM had enough stones to do it, that transmission would be an unbelievable addition to a light diesel truck. GM always talks up their "Allison" trans in their D-max trucks. Ford could sell trucks because of that Fuller transmission alone. LOL

Heath

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel