I may be nutless...

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
But my truck isn't! LOL

Day before yesterday I hooked up to the dead 300D and towed it out to Livermore (so it would be closer for me to work on) Currently it's parked in my friend's driveway (who is allowing me free use of his garage/tools) This arrangement works out nicely since I live in an apartment that has a "no hood up" policy. :confused:

I towed the 300D from Santa Clara to Livermore (up 680 through the Fremont hills BTW) WITH a replacement OM617 engine in the back of the truck (probably around 600+ LBS) and a 150 lb. cherry picker.

Went over the scales next to Towcat's - 13,080 LBS! :eek:

At one point I was down to 40 MPH in 2nd gear with 1150 deg.F on the pyro. Sure would be nice to have a turbo/intercooler :sly

This weekend I begin the engine swap, should be fun! ;Really

Attachments

• 0406001802a.JPG
    0406001802a.JPG
    187.2 KB · Views: 84

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
That is actually kind of impressive. You may have been able to do it faster with a gasser, but with the rest of it and unloaded, your milage will pay for a turbo sooner or later.

SWS

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Gotta love a C6 and 4.10's huh? ;Sweet

I was VERY impressed! The old goat did great. I've got 360k miles on the original C6, and it leaks about a quart of ATF a week, but it shifts firm and doesn't slip a bit. Too bad all transmissions aren't built like that.

:D

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Yeah these N/A's are pretty tough, slow but tough....Tuesday I had close to 4,000lbs of top soil in the bed of the '89 and from the back it looked like a 2wd LOL it hauled it 30 miles with authority. Very little smoke on take-offs and had no problems getting to 65 mph, but I did cause these tires look pretty bad and I didn't trust 'em. Grossed in at #9920 with very little fuel.

Those C-6's seem to be pretty stout, I wouldn't mind having one.

RustyRecycledT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I towed my 300D home from Ft. Worth TX to Harrison,AR. With a C6 and 4.10s it sure wasn't my fastest trip, but it WAS the most uneventful. left home with 2 tanks full of WMO and a 55gal drum full of WMO strapped down in the bed tied into the front tank. Wish ida packed more empty soda bottles! Too far to go without fuel/bathroom stops.

If you are going to swap another engine into your 'D' you may want to make sure the donor car is a 'D' as well. I swapped in another engine from an '80 'SD' and there was more to it than you would think. It isn't a straight swap.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can afford an actual winch?

Man you're livin the high life, I have the joy of using a come along to load vehicles onto the trailer!

Its been awhile since Ive towed with an idi and a c6 tranny. But I do remember the sucking a lot of power. The 300 inline 6 and the c6 that I had in my old f100 had 450k when I took the truck to the junkyard do to it being rusted out so bad it wasnt safe on the road. I wish I could have put a new cab on it, that was the most reliable truck that I have ever owned.

I just hauled some wood to the dump and weighed in at 14k, with my zf I was able to maintain 65 without any problems and rarely slowed to 60 on the bigger hills (there hard to find in Fl)

Last edited:

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
If you are going to swap another engine into your 'D' you may want to make sure the donor car is a 'D' as well. I swapped in another engine from an '80 'SD' and there was more to it than you would think. It isn't a straight swap.

Engine is indeed from a "300D" In fact, I purchased the engine from a member on here (The Warden) The engine I got has the added bonus of being a pre-emission engine so no EGR/trapox to deal with. ;Sweet

You can afford an actual winch?

Man you're livin the high life, I have the joy of using a come along to load vehicles onto the trailer!

Actually, Towcat had a tow truck come by to do the winching, since (as he put it) "It's better to work smart than hard" LOL Or something along those lines...

I got the engine ready to pull but rain yesterday kept me indoors. :mad: I had a wonderful time getting the top two engine to tranny bolts out!!! -cuss It seems the germans are WAY more flexible than us Americans. :eek:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finally see what Calvin looks like! Hey Spark and Fire.... I know it sucks about the engine and all....but wow that Mercedes is cherry, looks almost like a new vehicle.

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
hey justin where at in livermore are you working on that thing? if you need help let me know ive been dying to get out of the damn house, ill pm you my number.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726