I have an "off the wall question"...

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
What is the most HP that these older engines are capable of turning out? I've been searching Youtube for IDI videos, and I haven't found one of an IDI up against a Cummins or Duramax in a race. Everyone keeps posting videos for Cummins beating the Powerstroke and Duramax, but nothing on an IDI. Is it possible to make these trucks capable of beating a Cummins or Duramax in a race or a pull? :dunno I've seen alot of IDI trucks pulling a sled full pull though! :D

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well... a hopped up Cummins can make some serious HP and still be streetable, I read here that Hypermax made a real killer 6.9 but they have deep pockets and what they did to that poor thing would have made it a race track toy only. I think it was compound turbos, DI heads, and around 9:1 compression ratio(custom slugs). I think you can get an IDI to make 250-300HP at the wheels and still be pretty decently reliable with lowered compression, a hopped up IP, and a few other goodies.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DI heads? what did they take those off of? also did they ever do a writeup on that engine? id love to know some specs

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
in short, the hottest streetable IDI still will not run with any modded Cummims, PSD or DMAX. it's the nature of the IDI vs DI.

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
You gotta take the old IDI for what it is....a reliable work horse that's easy to service.
They just aren't built to take alot of extra power. I finally put a turbo on mine & it's about as fast as I need it to be.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
in short, the hottest streetable IDI still will not run with any modded Cummims, PSD or DMAX. it's the nature of the IDI vs DI.

I don't know about that Rob. I rode with Barney when he raced Darrin back a few weeks. There is a video somewhere... the evidence speaks to the contrary. :D

smoking89IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I have posted before (http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=25116) my IDI would be a VERY close match for my buds 06 Cummins, I had some advantages though,
1. He has a Mega Cab
2. He has 37's
3. He WAS stock at the time
4. It is a Dodge lol

I could just creep past him from a rolling start but not from a stop (too much axle hop), but he has a chip now :mad: so we dont play anymore lol, too bad though it was fun trying to shift faster than his truck could accelerate so I didnt loose ground. These IDI's were not made for this though, they were made for the everyday sorta work, hauling and working not racing so they are not as moddable as the newer ones, too bad......oh yeah no new vid yet of mine, too much going on at work still doing our 12-15 hour shifts.

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i heard u cant go more than 75 i went 85 + with a dry trailer
the veggie oil didn't like the cold or my napa diesel pump didn't like veggie oil

4play

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 2cents. an idi is like an old engine. and compare that to anything modern that can make more power. you just have to compare apples to apples. these new diesels make far more power than old school diesels "idi". and the old school stuff will never compare if you make the mods the same. with that said. the cummins is deffinately and a different beast to mods. but keep in mind reliability drops just like any other engine would. but...
idi's cannot make and match the power of newer diesel engines if you did the same things to them too. they will be spanked. idis are awesome but not modern. nuff said

k_williams1982

'01 Excursion 4x4
Reaction score
I'm happy with my "Old School" diesel. It's easy to fix, and parts are relatively cheap (compared to PSD, Cummins, & Duramax). My first truck was a NA 6.9 and it pulled a semi on the Bend parkway that weighed 79,800#. Another time it pulled a "park model" travel trailer up a hill that a PSD couldn't. I might not be able to go over 65mph with these 4.11 gears, and I might not be able to get up to speed as fast as the newer trucks, but I can get up to and cruise at 60mph everytime and since the highest speed limit around here is 55mph, I can live with what I got. NO speeding tickets for me! lol

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
I don't know about that Rob. I rode with Barney when he raced Darrin back a few weeks. There is a video somewhere... the evidence speaks to the contrary. :D

i like Barney a lot, he's a really smart guy and hats off to him for making the power he has made, and i'm only saying this because i know he will agree, (even reluctantly but he is a realist) that his record of reliability with his hopped up IDI only supports my previous statement. streetable reliable power that will run with only routine maintenence, (this means oil and filter changes only, not blown head gaskets) the IDI won't do what the newer engines will.

he has all but given up and gotten a new truck as a result of his adventures.

no disrespect Barney you know i love ya man.

i still love my IDI but it is what it is.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course that is right Rob. I don't think anybody is disputing that a 25 year old design is going to have trouble holding a candle to anything new. I was just addressing the claim that you can't put a modded IDI against a mildly modded Cummins of similar vintage. I don't think Barney has had any problems since he learned to control his urges. LOL I would also say that the Cummins will hold up better. We all know the IDI is designed for longevity and reliability. Anything WE decide to do to it beyond stock does not generally result in enhancing that reputation.