I have a question!

t-roymoose

Reaction score
First, I haven't been on here for a while cuz my truck has been on the back burner. But I am back in action (sort of) now.

A while ago I broke my 7.3 motor. It couldn't be rebuilt. I found a 88 7.3 diesel with blown head gaskets for 750 cash. Do you think it would be worth it? What are the differences between that one and one from 1993? I know the pulleys are different but I still have my blown 7.3 so I still have lots of spare parts. What do ya'll think?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it's blown head gaskets ? Did you hear it run ? If it's using coolant it could be cavitation (pin holes in the cyl. wall(s) #7 -#8 ) or it could be any cyl., 7&8 are the most ones affected .

The 88 will go right in there. Just got an 88 myself to put in a 92, won't say what I paid though, somewhat less, and it has only 75K miles on it. If you haven't paid for it yet Jew him down. Gonna cost you about 150-200 for gaskets. You shouldn't use the old intake gasket, they are a one time crush gasket.You should change the rear seal, if it show's leaking, and rebuild the oil cooler (gaskets and O'rings) while it's out. Just change all the pulleys over to the serpentine belt.

Here's my engine below. Looks like a Cat was painted all Yellow.
You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

t-roymoose

Reaction score
I didn't think of holes in the cylinder wall. I saw it on craigslist. It also comes with a 5 speed and a t-case. I don't need those just the block with the main internals. I am starting to get the itch of getting my truck up and running. Can anyone think of a good place to get a motor?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep your eye on the Market Place forum here there has been some motors for sale that might be close to you. Thedieselstop .com had some for sale, I'm thinking in Calif. Redding is up North isn't it. I'll check dieselstop and let you know.

You have to check those motors running that old. They can have 300K or more and the odometer won't show it, they are only 5 digit, can roll over many times. personally I wouldn't trust Craiglist.

t-roymoose

Reaction score
I didn't think to check that. Yeah it is in Northern California. I don't mind little road trips sometimes (not cross country though). Should I get a truck that runs and pull the motor or go with just the motor?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just checked the diesel stop and there is three 7.3 idi for sale 2 are close to me and the other has no location but I PM'ed him for a location. I'll get back to you when he answer's me back.

Yeah you want to hear the motor run. It is a 94 7.3 idi turbo for 900. Be a good one if he's close to you. One thing about buying from a guy on the forums you can prolly trust them.

t-roymoose

Reaction score
Thanks OLDBULL8. I have the banks sidewinder turbo kit so I don't have to have one with a turbo. How many PSI does a stock turbo kit make? I made 8psi or so.

t-roymoose

Reaction score
That motor used to be 1200 (or something close to that) for turbo and motor. I e-mailed him a while back and he responded. I asked if he would sell just the motor and he said that he would. I never heard from him again. I was ready to buy it but I guess he didn't want to. I wish he would have sent me something saying that he changed his mind or something. Needless to say I will not buy it.

Thanks for keeping an eye out though. I appreciate it! The one I was talking about earler in the thread was in the Reno area.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you find an engine with a turbo system on it i will give you some money for the turbo system. but i think 700 is a lot for an engine with "blown head gaskets" i just paid 350 for a complete 7.3 engine with 150k on it and i heard it run before i pulled it out. but then again your in cali. everything out there is way overpriced.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
if i was going to build a engine, i would find a later model 6.9 block an 85 86 or 87 model block, you dont have to worry as much about cavitation, and are you wanting to turbo it? if so you either dont want to get over about 12psi of boost, or you need some head studs

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
I picked up an '86 6.9 at Pick-n-Pull for $116 (50% off day) complete from a totaled truck. So far it looks pretty good. I'll be building it up as a back up in case my 7.3 takes a dump.

t-roymoose

Reaction score
I think I know where I could get a 6.9 on the cheep maybe free. It has sat for a while and there is slight surface rust in one of the cylinders but no pitting. I heard that if you turbo a 6.9 you will destroy it. I don't see why it would be any different than a 7.3. As long as you don't over do it. Are the 6.9 and 7.3 the same block but different cranks and stuff? The only thing wrong with my old motor is I put a chip in the cylinder wall and F-up two pistons. How much of a pain would it be to re-build the 6.9? Now my gears are turning.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
t_roy Reply from the guy on diesel stop with the 7.3 he's in Pennsylvania . To far away.

The 6.9 has only 7/16" head bolts. 7.3 was increased to 1/2" for the increased HP.

t-roymoose

Reaction score
t_roy Reply from the guy on diesel stop with the 7.3 he's in Pennsylvania . To far away.

The 6.9 has only 7/16" head bolts. 7.3 was increased to 1/2" for the increased HP.

Well that explains why the turbo thing may not be the best idea. I think I will have to try the salvage yards again. They had some about a month ago but they didn't look all that good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat