I guess I cannot use my rear tank now

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck has been acting weird lately sucking air dying stalling Claddaring etc. and I have been using my rear tank. I want to put fuel in it this morning and I can't. It just spits fuel out on the ground. Could these two problems be related?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
perhaps....sounds like fill neck is blocked and tank may have no air getting in causing problems...

Time to drop the tank and see whats going on.

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
perhaps....sounds like fill neck is blocked and tank may have no air getting in causing problems...

Time to drop the tank and see whats going on.

+1

Sometimes the rubber in the "hose within a hose" clusterfunk swells and can cause similar symptoms not allowing the air to vent causing a diesel volcano at the pump. Harpoon that badboy.

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My vote is to pull the bed if you have another person! I find it much easier to work on from the top, and it's only six bolts, the taillights, and the fuel filler neck mounts to pull the bed. Takes about 20 minutes.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went to a different station and filled it up. No foam at all. Now what?

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh. Whats a harpoon?
Look at this thread over on FTE...
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1110589-hutch-n-harpoon-mod-worth-it.html

Also google is your friend... look for "harpoon mod". Its mainly a PSD thing, but the concepts are the same for the IDI.

In my case, I was different by removing the "hose within a hose", and had just the outer feed the tank. I then removed the rollover valve, and used 3/4" flex PVC hose to create a vent line that terminates into a loop between my headache rack and back of the cab. If my truck rolls over, maybe 8 gallons of diesel spilling is going to be the least of anyones worries. I can say that as a Florida certified structural firefighter. ;Sweet

While you're in there, do the Hutch mod too... in my case, I used just standard fuel hose instead of steel tubing, as seemingly steel is scarce around here. *shrugs* I used the natural bend of the hose in my favor to keep it pointed away from the suction. edit: oh yeah, you can ignore the bits about the "mixing chamber" and such.. all you've got on your truck is the showerhead, and fuel sender. ;)
http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/hutch.php

RavenTBK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My vote is to pull the bed if you have another person! I find it much easier to work on from the top, and it's only six bolts, the taillights, and the fuel filler neck mounts to pull the bed. Takes about 20 minutes.

+1. This way is indeed easiest if you have an extra person to help. Although in my case, I've got a steel flatbed bolted down on the frame, which happens to be welded to the frame back around the hitch area. Sucking the fuel and dropping the tank was my only option. Theres two straps on the front, and two on the rear tank. Other than being large and awkward, it is by no means harder than pulling the bed. Worst part about dropping the tank was all the crap falling into my eyes while I laid there yanking my ratchet. (!)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My flatbed sits just right.
I can pull the senders out the top without unbolting anything. ;sly

Some stations have foamy fuel. Don't go there.
I can't fuel at certain stations without it clicking every two seconds.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online