I-beam Bushing Replacement

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the cause of all my front end noise is worn bushings on the I-beam anchors. I have not confirmed it yet, and don't plan on going outside and laying under the truck today with all the snow and cold. :mad:

Anyways, when It does warm up, I will investigate further, but I am pretty sure this is my issue.

Watching this video here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evGHZUwnTbo, and It doesn't look too awfully difficult, but I do not know anyone that has the ball joint press that is used.

Has anyone done this job before, or have any words of wisdom?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All I know is you can rent the press and adapter kit at autozone. I rented it while doing the ball joints on our econoline worked well.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I have changed the pivot bushings on two 4x4 trucks and the ball joint press makes things a lot easier. You can rent it at most any auto parts store, I believe it's free at o'reilly's with a deposit.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Burning out the old rubber would require the removal of the i-beams though right?

Isn't that a lot of unnecessary work?

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah that makes waaaayyy more sense. I was imagine putting the end of the I beam in a fire or something to burn it out.... Nevermore that.

So the new poly bushings go in without a press?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I used energy suspension bushings and they came with new metal sleeves which did need to be pressed in. Once again, the ball joint press made short work of it.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled the I-beams out when I did mine. Made it so much easier and I just used a shop press to push them out.