Hypothetical question....

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Hmmm,How much would one of those 149 cost me?I would love to have one to mount to a trailer and take to car shows like the hit and miss engine guys do.How many people know what a 2 stroke is now days!

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
the 149 we replaced as rebuild last feb has 5,000 hours on it, cost $125,000. Dunno what they'd sell it for since it'll probably just rust here in the yard.

It's about 10,000lbs, makes 900hp with 120mm injectors NA. I'd guess it's about 6ft wide, 5ft tall, 12long.

Drew

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
the 149 we replaced as rebuild last feb has 5,000 hours on it, cost $125,000. Dunno what they'd sell it for since it'll probably just rust here in the yard.

It's about 10,000lbs, makes 900hp with 120mm injectors NA. I'd guess it's about 6ft wide, 5ft tall, 12long.

Drew

RedTruck

Reaction score
higher revs? it's whatever you set the screw to. Any governer you buy will have the no load rpm on it. The load limit screw is 2inch from boss to end of screw inside gov... and idle is once again whatever you want it. For setting max rpm, we just run aground into some sand at low tide. go wide open and let me adjust it. At high tide we float away :)
silver were just the v92. Okay engine, they tried to do one better than the 71's but it's sure hard to beat the 71 series. you don't see as many marine v92's as the longevity just wasn't there.

I was refering to factory specs as far as RPM. I didn't know it was just a screw setting. Thanks.

I have given this some thought over the years, twin turbo, build a bypass blower plate as the turbo 92 series has, N75 injectors instead of N45, balance the lower end, you can even mess with the intake windows in the liners for more top end power.

What's involved with the bypass blower plate? Is that all mechanically operated?

Good to have a couple of detroit guys around ;Sweet

Paul

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I drove a 673 over the road in the early 70s-don't idle it for long periods(developes oil leaks)-wear ear protection -"what did you say??" Bottom end will last forever.starts good cold.Keeeps you cool in the cab till you get loaded.Did 1200 miles once non stop-going down a hill it poped out of gear"why do we seem to be slowing down? oh I see brain is numb from the scream. What an engine!!!! Send it in for a reseal B4 the next trip "its leaking too much oil" Actully a good engine just some quirks to deal with. Oh yes set it at a fast idle-it will speed up on its own.
Later I drove a bouble breasted Yamaha-V8 435 detroit-extreemly fast for its time-loved fuel.Pulled real good.Noisy "couldn't hear it anymore-WHAT DID YOU SAY??????? HUH???
Hmm still today my ears ring and I still use "what did you say as a regular expression"!!!!

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6V53... 4-71... parts for any two-stroke are sky-high... a reman 6-71 inline turbo, with no core charge is 25 grand... 3208 cats suck... 3116/3126/C7 cats are HUEI, so they suck too. DT466 sucks. it it doesnt have pushtubes for the injectors or an injector rack, it sucks...

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
find a mil-spec 6V53. the military got them way hotter than the public could. you'd need a heck of a radiator tho... any detriot questions PM me... as to a 149, running at 1800rpm, with earplugs in, their dull roar will put most people to sleep in a matter of minutes... they are sweet running engines... an quick... 12V71 turbo with 200K lbs behind it is hardly loaded...

VanBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting..... I just passed on a semi truck with a 6-71T and a 10 speed tranny. Odo only had like 120,000 miles (5000 or so hours)...... ex-state DOT dump truck/snow plow.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
right on mr christian.

I love offshore towing with two 16v149's running 1800rpms, just plain old music.
200k lbs? hell, we carry 40,000gal of diesel, 28k gal of water, plus the weight of the boat, and the tow.

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those old two-strokes ae hated by alot of people. but for displacement, they run harder and stronger than any other engine. thats why they leak oil. they rattle them selves out of gaskets... they are simple, most external parts are interchangable, and they are dependable as long as whoever works on them knows what they are doin... a two-stroke detriot never runs away... the engine overspeeds, and an idiot mechanic runs away, instead of tripping the flaps by hand...

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
i got ours rigged so we can trip them from outside the boat as well.
we had one run up to 3000 the other day.
a 12v149.
the blower shaft is warped and we go through gov's every 3 months.
strips the splined shaft going to the stop lever.
sheesh.... tell me just to change the gov, and wont send me any more parts.

they're patching them till the cats show up.

we've got a 3-71 gen thats been through 3 gens and only has ever had injectors. 38,000hours at this time.

jdchristian3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
we got a 4-71 turbo motor that is on a fire pump in a hotel in Washington, DC that my is turned up to 3700rpm so it will pass the firemarshal's tests up in the penthouse... 5 years, with no problems... those old 149s are great. they drink more, but htey come up to speed faster on a genset the newer MTU 4000s. the 92's are the same way against MTU 2000's.... the old stuff was definitly built better... and much more mechanic friendly...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tony