Hypermax's Superbuild

Brimmstone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just talked to a friend of mine who lives in Joliet. He goes to the track all the time and is going to pass word along if he sees an old diesel going insanely fast that he has a fan base here.

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Well I guess we can all go in and build it as a community project. Set up a list of those interested in making monetary donations and start building up the budget to buy the parts needed.
Get a member with engine building experience to put the thing together. And once it's running put it on a dyno.
Maybe have a tour with it so that those of us in different parts of the country have a chance to see it in person.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And that is why that engine will NEVER be reproduced on this site. Hell most guys dont want to spend 500 on a pump, no less 10 times that

Thanks for posting that stuff Brad. Really cool. Yeah, the Hypermax P-pump I bought for my DT466 retails new for roughly $6000. I got it from a puller for less than that, but still $2500 isn't cheap. I'd guess it cost in the neighborhood of $35000 to get that engine build for you by Hypermax. A bit cheaper if you did most of the work yourself, but the part cost what they cost eh?;Really;Sweet

Heath

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
All this talk about the IDI motor is great, especially being located about 20 minutes from both Elburn and Joliet. :sly

Anyways, for those of you who didn't know about Hypermax Engineerings' "P-Pumped" 7.3 pulling truck - it is a '99 crew cab super duty with their fabled p-pump 7.3. It is currently being pulled in the Illini State Pullers 8,000 pound diesel class.

The truck was ran lastnight and they finally got the hiccups worked out after they won with a pull distance of 364.8 feet.

I took a video and picture with my phone so it isn't of great quality, but still cool none the less.....

It may not be an IDI, but around here, unless you running a dmax or 12 valve in this ISP weight class, your not going to win.....they did something about it, and they are cleaning house;Sweet

For your viewing pleasure http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qiy3rEMEII

More truck **** (CLICK TO ENLARGE) [url=http://www.freeimagehosting.net/3e8]
You must be registered for see images
[/URL]

hairyboxnoogle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a badass truck. Another thread about the engine claims that the F-100 with it in it has been parked for some time now and the owner had sold it. he is supposed to be in his 70s now.

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
It stinks knowing that ol girl is floating around somewhere.....its like our golden ticket to willy wonkas chocolate factory!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys don't think that engine still exists somewhere in running condition (or at least fully assembled), do you???

Seems that would be too good to be true....

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if it didn't, the custom intake/exhaust and gear/housing fuel lines and maybe pump would be salvageable :)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, regardless of weather it is still around or not, I think the big takaway here is that these motors look really sweet with a different intake and exhaust arrangement. I'd love to do something with twin turbo's that basically copied what Hypermax did with the exhaust and intake runners. I think for the kind of horsepower that most people here would be happy with, a P pump is not needed. I know there has been a lot of focus on the P pump because it would be cheaper to obtain and juice up, but the reality is any economy would be offset by custom gear/tower and injector line arrangments. What we really need to focus on is getting more flow through the engine. It would be nice to "run out of fuel" in these motors and have really low EGT's, but the reality is no one is getting there because there is not enough boost nor the lower compression needed to support it. If we had an exhaust manifold that you could bolt a turbo right onto without a lot of up pipe, and an intake manifold that mated up to the outlet of said turbo, that would for the basis for a game changing arrangment. After all, besides the direct injection, most of the inline 6's some foam over feature the shortest exhaust/intake combo you could want, resulting in zero heat loss and higher boost from the same turbo. :dunno

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So if we tried to run the chevy db2 pump but turned it around and faced it towards the front of the truck it would actually be turning now the correct direction. Maybe modify the stock gear tower that covers the injection pump gear. Flip the gear around too while your at it. Then build some custom hard lines for the pump. Just thinking what "could be done" if you had nothing going on and had a modest machine shop in your garage...:sly:D

brdmh44

Midwest Chopper
Reaction score
I believe the motor still exists around here, I wouldn't be suprised if it surfaces at an estate sale or auction. Alot of the other farmers around here are packrats and racers as well....In due time there will be modern pictures of this motor and hopefully better specifications. I mean lets be honest, besides fueling and air, the camshaft specs are what I'd love to see.....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other point I forgot in my earlier post was that this was a 6.9, not a 7.3. The email Brad got said 7.3, but look at the writing above the bottom left photo.... it says "6.9 sold to...."

Heath

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
The other point I forgot in my earlier post was that this was a 6.9, not a 7.3. The email Brad got said 7.3, but look at the writing above the bottom left photo.... it says "6.9 sold to...."

Heath

Like I said, That guy RON was just reading info from a piece of paper, He had no 1st hand knowledge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle