Hypermax?

Mtorg

Reaction score
Well I'm looking for a turbo and I'm confused. What is the "Pulse" turbo from Hypermax? Like what does pulse mean here? I head someone say something about they aren't good for long pulls up hills heavily loaded... Also, what turbo do you guys think, Banks or Hypermax? Or is there another option? I live at 7200 ft so ANY boost would be awesome.
And for those who've done hypermax, what all is NOT included in the kit that you kinda need (gauges, exhaust random bolts ect.)
Thanks guys!

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They are talking about the exhaust pulses and the way they are grouped together to produce a steady pressure wave into the inducer side of the compressor.Hypermax uses a non wastegated design.The inducer side of the compressor is PROPERLY sized as not to back up too much heat at higher loads and to make an efficient compressor map that works across a wide rpm band.However,that designdoesnt produce as much boost at lower rpms/load due to the wider map.Banks on the other hand uses a wastegated housing that tends to be smaller,thus inducing more energy to the inpeller at lower rpm/load scenarios.However,at higher rpm/load this smaller housing can "back up" heat in the engine as well as higher pumping losses(engine trying to force the exhaust out eats power) so a wastegat is employed to "release" some of the drive pressure to relieve stress on the system.If I were building a daily driver and wanted throttle respone(hotrodding) I would go wastegated,but if towing heavy loads daily and working the truck hard I would choose the Hypermax.Think of Hypermax as a rifle,the Banks as a shotgun.

Wellused

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a personal beef with Banks.That company is a leach to the taxpayer.His R&D dept has benefitted immensely thru military(think taxpayer) funds.Their commonrail hardware/electronics are all marketing hype as fars as I am concerned.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
We have 3 turbo builders that benefits our idi engines. The banks came early without a wastegate but they now sell the wastegated sidewinder turbos. The ATs came without a wastegate called the 088. then they wastegated calling it an 093. Hypermax offeres what thay have. you need to call and talk with them. For ATS turbos or parts or rebuilding contact typ4 aka Russ. He bought out all of what ATS had on the shelves. The only plus to buying a Hypermax turbo is they also offer an intercooler so its an easy addition to your turbo and engine.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I were building a daily driver and wanted throttle respone(hotrodding) I would go wastegated,but if towing heavy loads daily and working the truck hard I would choose the Hypermax.Think of Hypermax as a rifle,the Banks as a shotgun.

why don't you like throttle response when towing/hauling? do you use your truck mostly on the hwy with little stop and go driving?

Mtorg

Reaction score
Thanks guys! So which one is easiest to put in? I'm thinking I like the hypermax right now, its cheaper at least. Also, which one has the best customer support? and If you've tried them both, which is your favorite?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Hypermax has a good reputation for customer service.
They also offer both systems for the IDI, the Pulse and the conventional.

ATS isn't an option for the IDI anymore, they dropped us.

All of them are a tight fit.

Mtorg

Reaction score
ok, so whats the difference between the hypermax pulse and conventional...? didn't know there was a difference

kas83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Throttle response with a Hypermax and a good load is going to be fairly quick. More heat spools the turbo up faster, while the non gated housing keeps it fairly unrestricted as you wind it up. Empty it won't feel very powerful since it will slightly slow to spool.

Gated turbos are quicker to spool and feel more powerful. In all reality, they will both make close to the same peak HP. Power under the curve is where a gated turbo will exceed, but in a towing app, they will usually hold even.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

hotshotidi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a hypermax pulse,intercooler,cowl intake it makes alot of torque in my heavy pig

vegas39

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok, so whats the difference between the hypermax pulse and conventional...? didn't know there was a difference

The pulse kit has two seperate up pipes from each manifold, up to the back of the turbo.

The conventional kit has a crossover pipe between manifolds and one up pipe that goes up and into a side mount housing that hangs below the turbo.

As far as a power difference, some say the pulse is better but I dont know, never driven one with the pulse unit.

DO NOT put the conventional kit in a truck, it is made for a van! By design of the up pipe, the lower bolt on the turbo flange for the up pipe is a total ****** to tighten, in fact I couldnt tighten mine all the way, no way to get in there.
If you have a van, you just reach in there with the doghouse removed and tighten the bolt.

My truck already came with the conventional kit but when I did my trans conversion, I had to order the new crossover pipes with up pipe, hence the reason for all the grief trying to make it work.

Mtorg

Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback guys!
Ill see what my tax returns look like and hope to get one

dieseldoug

Reaction score
As a definate newbee, and one who's about to buy a turbo I want to pass on my reasoning. This is in the form of a question, not a recommendation cause I have lots more questions than answers.

I picked Banks for four reasons.

1) The waste gated system led me to believe that it would limit the boost to less than 10 PSI. Sinse I'm very concerned about stress on my old 7.3 it seemed like a good idea.

2) The Banks system seemed to have more of what I'll need to complete the project. I live on an island, and have to ride a boat over and back to chase parts. At an hour round trip and 20 bucks over and back, I can't afford too many surprised.

3) I understand that a non-waste gated system would be better for towing a big trailer, and that's what I do. But, with no turbo my old truck can just about do the job. So, I believe that Banks will give me all I need.

4) The fact that Banks takes advantage of Uncle Sam Sucks. And, if their stuff was make in China instead of California I'd pass them bye.

Anyway, looking forward to any and all comments.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm starting to think Wastegated might be better for towing.
Here's my reasoning: I have a non Wastegated ATS turbo and tow a big 5er.
If you hit the bottom of the hill at 3000 rpm, the truck will pull right up it.
But most of the hills around here seem to have a 35mph corner(s). My truck will maintain speed just fine on hills, but trying to gain speed going up them is a different story. With almost 18k pounds between truck and trailer, it pulls great from about 2500-3000; but if it drops below about 2500, you loose boost and the engine kind of falls on its face.
I already work the engine hard with this much weight, so I've got it in my head not to go over 3000rpm; maybe I just need to lean on it a lil harder...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7