hypermax vs banks

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
what makes you predict the end of production of banks prior to hypermax?

I've spoken with them about a year and a half or two years ago, at that time they said they were ceasing production of all IDI turbo kits at the beginning of the new year. So we are going on about a year now that they have not been producing new kits. Yes they have several in stock and they said they would have parts to repair them for some time, but unless they changed their decision at some point, they are currently no longer producing turbo kits for our IDI's. If this is still true, they will dry up at some point as well as the service parts to repair them.

Personally, if it were me and I were in the market for a brand new system, I'd get nothing but Hypermax. Their engineers are still working on new ideas for our engines, case in point, I've been talking with them for some time now trying to get them to make a new head gasket for our engines, and they are currently R&D'ing a completely new kind of head gasket for our trucks. I'm very impressed with Hypermax and their engineers for them to listen to a nobody and take what he had to say seriously, then apply it to actually producing something. They are a very good company to support. Just my .02

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a good fuel system yes.
I love my hypermax kit. Very easy install. And with the slightly larger exhaust wheel drive pressure is probally better on it too.

Wasn't Mel hitting something like 17 before he backed off on his hypermax kit when he installed his moose pump?

With enough fuel, a Hypermax will blow the heads off your engine! The way I've always felt about wastegated versus non-wastegated, is that wastegated units are better for city driving, and non-wastegated are better for highway. A wastegated unit hurts performance at higher RPM's where there is more backpresure. A non-wastegated is more free flowing and shines at cruising speeds. Get a wastegated if you are on the trails or the streets of SanFrancisco.

Dejomo

Reaction score
I've spoken with them about a year and a half or two years ago, at that time they said they were ceasing production of all IDI turbo kits at the beginning of the new year. So we are going on about a year now that they have not been producing new kits. Yes they have several in stock and they said they would have parts to repair them for some time, but unless they changed their decision at some point, they are currently no longer producing turbo kits for our IDI's. If this is still true, they will dry up at some point as well as the service parts to repair them.

Personally, if it were me and I were in the market for a brand new system, I'd get nothing but Hypermax. Their engineers are still working on new ideas for our engines, case in point, I've been talking with them for some time now trying to get them to make a new head gasket for our engines, and they are currently R&D'ing a completely new kind of head gasket for our trucks. I'm very impressed with Hypermax and their engineers for them to listen to a nobody and take what he had to say seriously, then apply it to actually producing something. They are a very good company to support. Just my .02

I guess I'll stop looking.

UMR_Engnr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called Banks the other day when they had their President's Day sale. I asked them about the rumor of them ending production of the IDI turbo kits. They said they still get plenty of orders and still make money on the kits. However, he said they make a lot of money on other kits and have limited space for inventory. It sounded like they were trying to sell what's left of their stock. He did say they stock replacement parts for a while even after they discontinue a product. I went ahead and picked up a kit. Total was about $2500 for the kit and monster exhaust. The invoice had a 15% discount from I believe the President's day sale.

Banks was awesome with customer service. They shipped the kit out right away. I got it today, and it is beautiful. You can tell they really paid attention to the details and put some engineering hours into it. I'm looking forward to getting it on my engine.

As an aside, Hypermax and Banks are both businesses. The goal of a business is to make money. Neither are going to give away turbo kits. As soon as it is no longer economically feasible to produce kits for 20 year old trucks they will stop.

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I would imagine so being it is a Garret charger.
I dot rember the guys name but there's a guy on here with a hypermax turbo. Said he had done a few things to it including a new .82 exhaust wheel from the original 1.15.

I think maybe it depends on what generation of Hypermax kit you have. I know my old 91' had a pre-pulse kit with a .88 a/r hot side (non-wastegated). :dunno

Anyway, I would recommend a Hypermax kit any day of the week. Mine was a little more "intrusive" to install, but when I needed parts they had them on the shelf ready to go. Not only that, but they KNEW what they were talking about whenever I called with questions. Can't beat that in my book.

Black dawg

Reaction score
with the c6 auto, boost should be immediate. The non wastgated kits start making good boost at around 2k, and the c6 trucks I have had would go to atleast 2k anytime you were getting on the throttle.

with a standard trans or auto with locking converter I would go with a wastegated kit. It will produce boost where the motor likes to work hard.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just called Banks the other day when they had their President's Day sale. I asked them about the rumor of them ending production of the IDI turbo kits. They said they still get plenty of orders and still make money on the kits. However, he said they make a lot of money on other kits and have limited space for inventory. It sounded like they were trying to sell what's left of their stock. He did say they stock replacement parts for a while even after they discontinue a product. I went ahead and picked up a kit. Total was about $2500 for the kit and monster exhaust. The invoice had a 15% discount from I believe the President's day sale.

Banks was awesome with customer service. They shipped the kit out right away. I got it today, and it is beautiful. You can tell they really paid attention to the details and put some engineering hours into it. I'm looking forward to getting it on my engine.

As an aside, Hypermax and Banks are both businesses. The goal of a business is to make money. Neither are going to give away turbo kits. As soon as it is no longer economically feasible to produce kits for 20 year old trucks they will stop.

thats just what the guy told me as well when i called recently to order parts.no plans of ceasing production predicted.
same results as you for getting parts too of course.being a massive outfit like banks,we pretty much expect it i guess.
that rumor sure does go back a few years now.no doubt like all turbo kits,it'll eventually come true.id think banks being a mass producer would always just build a few to have on hand for good.but could and probably am wrong on that one lol.