Hypermax vs banks turbo kits

derjackistweg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great conversations going, and please.... I'm not the only guru here by far! Listen to these other guys as well. A little disagreement helps point out issues that might not otherwise be discussed, as long as its all kept civil. That Banks literature is interesting. What isn't clear, and what they don't tell you is.... did they touch the IP at all when they swapped their turbo on? That's my suspicion. A turbo is good for 50 HP over NA, and the factory turbo offered only 10hp more than NA. This was due more to the calibration of the injection pump then the application of the turbo itself. If Banks swapped their turbo over, there would have been no HP change without turning up the fuel!

I am pretty sure that banks tuned the IP!
There are some interesting interviews with Gale, longer than 30min, in the net. And always Gales leaves no dought that he develops from end to end! otherwise the system leaves potential unused.
e.g. his commends about black smoke- witch is unused/unburned fuel etc.

On the other hand are people saying and reporting that a stock turbo setup can be finetuned up to 220hp at the rear wheel. Not much than a banks.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great conversations going, and please.... I'm not the only guru here by far! Listen to these other guys as well. A little disagreement helps point out issues that might not otherwise be discussed, as long as its all kept civil. That Banks literature is interesting. What isn't clear, and what they don't tell you is.... did they touch the IP at all when they swapped their turbo on? That's my suspicion. A turbo is good for 50 HP over NA, and the factory turbo offered only 10hp more than NA. This was due more to the calibration of the injection pump then the application of the turbo itself. If Banks swapped their turbo over, there would have been no HP change without turning up the fuel!

well i think probably the most notable difference was Mel,that the factory ats kit came with crushed downpipes (they did the same thing on the 94-97 psd trucks) with the banks kit of course,you have a near full 3" dp.so if that got swapped out no doubt the difference wouldn't had been so drastic (if at all?)
for the ip's,the turbo ip was of course installed on the factory turbo trucks (93/94) with enough fuel to provide the approx 9 psi range of boost under load.when you install a banks,they have the kit setup to boost the same.hard to say if they fueled the banks kit more i guess but no doubt the largest factor would be that crushed restricted dp.

there is a good solid member on fte who owns both the factory ats truck and a banks sidewinder truck.he claims even with the updated dp on factory unit,the banks does provide more kick in the pants for what it's worth.both trucks apparently in about the same state of tune.