Hypermax turbo generation year break?

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called a guy on an '86 F250 with a Hypermax turbo. He says his dad put it on there when the pickup was relatively new. He thinks '86/87. So would it be a old Hypermax system or the current pulse turbo system? Or is it to close to tell? Any drawbacks to the old one if that is what it is? I've heard nothing but good reviews of the newer pulse turbo system. I had to R&R one on a customer vehicle once to do head gaskets, so I know what it looks like and how it goes together, but I know nothing of the old systems. It's a pretty sharp old pickup. I might try to pedal my '06 and buy this one.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If its the old system and you have a 7.3 with a zf , it wont fit.. Just ran into this on a friends truck. The turbo itself will but the mounts and pipes would have to be changed. You would have to buy a BUNCH of stuff from hypermax to get it to fit,

The old style feeds from one side if I'm not mistaken and teh pulse turbo has a separate feed pipe from each side if that helps identify the thing

War Wagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If its the old system and you have a 7.3 with a zf , it wont fit.. Just ran into this on a friends truck. The turbo itself will but the mounts and pipes would have to be changed. You would have to buy a BUNCH of stuff from hypermax to get it to fit,

The old style feeds from one side if I'm not mistaken and teh pulse turbo has a separate feed pipe from each side if that helps identify the thing

Yea, I'm somewhat familiar with the newer one, but I have never seen an old Hypermax system. This pickup is an '86 with a 7.3L swapped in and the original T-19 4-spd behind it, but that's good to know because I would very likely swap a ZF-5 into it.

pontoonrob

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well Robert is right again. We did this swap a month ago and I was on the phone to Hypermax for a month prior trying to figure what would work and what wouldn't.the turbo I bought came out of an 86 with a 4 speed. I ended up buying just about all new stuff except the turbo itself.ALL the pipes are different,the turbo mount is different and even the air cleaner mount is different. I used the air cleaner mount from the 86 but it is a PIA to bolt to the intake so if I was you I would get the updated style. the "snail" was about the only part that fit just right. I sent the turbo to Type4 to be checked out and he suggested an upgrade to a larger wheel.Said it would spool quicker at lower rpms.It seems to do just that. I have a lot more power,especially running around in 3 or 4th gear. When you call Hypermax try talking to Ron,He was extremely helpful and gave a 15 percent discount on the new stuff. My truck is a lot more fun to drive and my fuel milage has gone to the dogs.LOL---Rob