Hydroboost Question

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either my vacuum pump is failing (Not likely as it's somewhat new but you never know these days) or the brake booster has failed (happens) but either way I'm not terribly interested in fixing either and would much rather switch to hydroboost. Or air brakes. As hydroboost is the far more likely and accessible of the two that's the direction I'm going to head in.

It's a 1986 F250 in amazingly good shape for a truck that old in Iowa no less! My question is there a particular year of hydroboost that I should be after or will pretty much any of them from the F450 line work? I'd be awful sad if I bought one and couldn't make it work as easy as it seems on all the threads (note: not that anything I've ever done has gone so easy but it's the thought that counts) The current master cylinder still work? (allegedly replaced recently by the PO). Current power steering pump handle it so long as I can plumb in the extra line for the return?

I'd love to be able to stop again without having to stand on the brakes.

Otherwise by way in intro my truck is in my profile, I'm still sorting out what was done to it and, so far, it looks like it was done by someone who knew what they were doing. Currently chasing all the little things that go wrong on a truck that's 30 years old. My background with the 6.9 goes waayyy back in the 1990's when I was turning wrenches for a postal contractor and he bought a Navistar truck from the Post Office and said "Make this work" Up to that point it had been LP converted Ford LS series, a couple of 3208 cats, and a pair of NTC Cummins with the odd postal jeep thrown in for flavor. I won't proclaim to be a guru and my memory is a bit fuzzy at times but I'm confident enough in my abilities to get into a lot of trouble quickly. Oddly, perhaps, prior to that I made a living fixing air cooled VW's. Currently bug free and recovering nicely, thank you, though it's very likely that I'll succumb to owning one in the not too distant future.

As the handle implies I have an affinity for the Mazda rotary as well. Guess I like engines off the beaten path right?

Thanks for the replies in advance!

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome to OBN.

any of the 1987-1997 f-super duty (f450) trucks will have what you need to convert.
yes,you can use your pickups master cylinder.if it's cast it will bolt on.if it's aluminum,the mount holes will need to be reamed out.
the power steering pumps are the same.it's just the f450's had a return line port on the reservoir.
don't forget to modify or swap in the correct brake pedal.

Ditch The Weak Vacuum & Upgrade To F-450 Hydroboost Brakes!

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As already mentioned the years of F450 SD work.

A caveat...

When you take the PS pump reservior please make sure you keep the fittings with the lines.

Try to use the MC with the hydro...its well worth it.

Also grab the brake pedal..even if it is auto and u std...it will sell.

Pretty much a bolt in upgrade well worth the investment in time a d $$

Add a filter inline someplace too and yer golden.

JM7.3CW

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This makes me sad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2acbbrxe37h2xu/IMG_1558.jpg?dl=0

The front port is considerably larger than the line.

While I can put the old master back in this one is shiny and and stuff and I'd rather use it. By chance was their adapter or something there that's missing? Hoping against hope for a nice quick trip to the store and a simple fix rather than replace the whole line.

Yeah we know how often that happens. Anyways, thoughts before I tear it down and put the old master back?

From the "Things never go as smooth for me as it does for everyone else" department

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This makes me sad

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z2acbbrxe37h2xu/IMG_1558.jpg?dl=0

The front port is considerably larger than the line.

While I can put the old master back in this one is shiny and and stuff and I'd rather use it. By chance was their adapter or something there that's missing? Hoping against hope for a nice quick trip to the store and a simple fix rather than replace the whole line.

Yeah we know how often that happens. Anyways, thoughts before I tear it down and put the old master back?

From the "Things never go as smooth for me as it does for everyone else" department
I haven't had any direct experience, but I've heard that '80-'86 slant-nose trucks used SAE fittings on the brake lines, whereas '87-'97 trucks use metric fittings for the brake lines...and, for this reason, while everything else will bolt on. you can't use a brick-nose/OBS master cylinder on a slant-nose or vice-versa, unless you either find adapters (do they even exist?) or replace the lines.

Sorry :(

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't had any direct experience, but I've heard that '80-'86 slant-nose trucks used SAE fittings on the brake lines, whereas '87-'97 trucks use metric fittings for the brake lines...and, for this reason, while everything else will bolt on. you can't use a brick-nose/OBS master cylinder on a slant-nose or vice-versa, unless you either find adapters (do they even exist?) or replace the lines.

Sorry :(

My rusty old memory seems to have dredged up that there were some various adapters like that made. I want to think some of the guys using Wilwood brakes were using them to convert between this line and that but I'll have to look.

Failing everything duct tape is like the force right? Had a dark side and a light side and holds everything together? :D Sadly there's probably been someone who has tired that...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Failing everything duct tape is like the force right? Had a dark side and a light side and holds everything together? :D Sadly there's probably been someone who has tired that...
That's one of my favorite sayings! I do wonder how duct tape would hold up to brake fluid, though...let alone brake fluid under pressure... :shocked:

rotarydragon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and then, because why should anything I do be normal, the hose running from the pump to the hydroboost doesn't fit on the hydroboost side. Looking at the fitting that was on unit when I got it, it appears the threads are too short.

4 hours? That's normal people completion time. With me it's more like 4 days!! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HS108

Diesel Newb
Reaction score
Makes sense, I will now how to debate on what I want to do when I swap in my HB

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford 250.......Btw the old link is dead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US