Hydroboost and Power steering

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
There were several posts recently concerning the lack of steering when at slow speeds trying to manuver a trailer in tight spaces. On another website there is a mod using a Saginaw steering pump. They did not say it is the cure for this problem and did not even say whether the truck had hydro or not. The pump they used is Autozone P # 206244 . Has anyone run across and is the answer ? ? ?
Foxman:dunno

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year and truck model are you inquiring about?

I have a 99.5 F350 and no problems as to your question.

foxman

foxman
Reaction score
I am refreing to two trucks. The first is a 93 F450 and when backing a trailer in tight spots holding some brake and doing a lot of steering. At this time the brakes seem to use all power from pump and the steering becomes immoveable. This has also happened on the 97 F450.

Paragraph from Ford service bulliten:
17469 Superduty F Series High Steering Effort - - - Some Superduty F series vehicles may exhibt increased steering efforts at very low speeds or stopped with the brakes applied. Customers may percievethis as high steering effort. Please refer to workshop manual section 211-00 for steering wheel turnong resistance specifications. In creased steering effort at low speed or while stopped is normal condition with hydroboost operated brakes therefore no service action should be taken.

This paragraph was taken from a Ford service bulliten. It is very obvious that the engineer who wrote this has never been in the situation and lost his assist steering when it is needed most. I know from some other posts on here that I am not the only one who has seen this. Perhaps if all heads together we can find the answer.
Thanks in advance for all the help.
Foxman

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Checking Azone, your trucks take the same PS pump as my 99 PSD. Also found out there is a PS filter on them, didn't know that til now. Could it be that your filter is in need of change, looks like they are in the return line.

As I stated in my previous post I have no problem with the brakes on and trying to turn. Best I can do for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online