Huge 6.9 Problems

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
beretzs said:
Oh, and thank all you guys for being sooo freaking cool. If I do need to do this, as in swap engines, I am calling in any favor I can. I think if the tools are available and with the complete engine sitting there a good weekend would be enough to get it swapped and running. Whaada you guys think? Scotty

It's 3468 mi to San Claminte CA....I have a full tank of fuel, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark out and I'm wearing sunglasses......HIT IT! LOL

If only it were that easy...... you are making a good decision even if now it doesn't appear so.
Sadly, you are just a wee bit far ........

A couple good friends, plenty of pizza's and some cold beverages should be no worries :thumbsup:

You gots too much tied up to throw it to the vultur.....er...I mean parts her out :angel:

SUPER's 6.9 block.......just needs rings and a hone job?

Reaction score
Scott,

I'm a little unclear on what SuperF350 has. Does he basically have a complete 6.9 minus the heads and fuel system? If that's what he has, then I'd look at the cylinders to check the ridge and for scuff marks. If that looks ok then I'd move on to your heads.

If you truly have a cracked block and it happened because of some heat related issues then you need to recheck your heads to see if they are warped. If I were in your shoes I'd just do it at the shop. Just bring along a straight edge and some feeler gauges. I don't recall off hand what spec is, but I can find it for you.

If your heads check out ok then I would go with your buddies motor. Especially with all the help you're getting. If the cylinders look fine on his engine, that should give you an good idea of blowby. If it was running before does SuperF350 know if it had good oil pressure?

On a side note. The problems you are having is in large part a result of the work these fellows did. At the very least I don't think you should be responsible for the labor charges on this latest bill.

I'll check to see if I have the specs on the head when I get home.

Paul

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
beretzs said:
Oh, and thank all you guys for being sooo freaking cool. If I do need to do this, as in swap engines, I am calling in any favor I can. I think if the tools are available and with the complete engine sitting there a good weekend would be enough to get it swapped and running. Whaada you guys think? Scotty
scotty-
I've done a 3day push on my carrier. With a couple of guys, one weekend is a no-brainer.

pafixitman

Reaction score
Us east coast boys would love to have your truck. :hail MHO is to get the block, swap it in. The cost of food, drink, calling in favors is a lot less than what you would lose on the truck. I would hate to hear that Calvin swopped in and it is on the chopping block.

Them rednecks :D in NC would love that truck, should you decide to part with it after the relocate.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
I would hate to hear that Calvin swopped in and it is on the chopping block.
I've been banned from "buying" anymore trucks for the time being -cuss
She didn't say anything about free trucks tho :eek: :D
I still have those coming through the mill :D

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
pafixitman said:
Us east coast boys would love to have your truck. :hail I would hate to hear that Calvin swopped in and it is on the chopping block.

Them rednecks :D in NC would love that truck, should you decide to part with it after the relocate.

This east coaster is 1st in line pal :backoff :backoff :backoff

We've been joking about that for quite a while now. I'd love to have it, but would rather see it rolling around in Wilmington, NC somewhere while I'm dumping cars. DO NOT SELL MY TRUCK :D :D

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
Hey Guys, long time no talk, just felt it necessary to chime in. ;Really

Scotty-

Just think of the good times, when you got a solid running IDI and you hear that turbo whine, the times when you take it for a drive- just because, the way you feel when you walk out and see her in the parking lot. ;Sweet Atleast thats how it was for me, and there have been some lonely times since mine's been gone.

I know it's been a lot of money in, but I sold my truck with a bad motor... ( I ended up loosing about $8,000 on mine, and I'm 19 :puke:) , but since you have the oppourtunity, I'd shoot for the motor swap, then once it moves you out to N.C. Consider your options... :rolleyes:

The black beauty quit while she was ahead, she got me and all my stuff out to CO and I couldn't have done it without her.

There are some really great people on this site willing to help others through hard times, luckily for you, you've got that spare 6.9 ,and the resources to make it work. Go for it buddy.

Thanks guys for getting his back, God Bless the Oilburner Clan :thumbsup:

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Scott, you ahve first dibs on my truck, if I do let it go. I am going ot go and talk with Super tonight and see what is up. I beleive he has the block and heads and he just redid the heads to put back on his project truck. Going to see what he wants for both. Sp basically, I will take everything I have and put it on that engine. Need to start looking for a COMPLETE Engine gasket set, and other misc stuff that will be needed add it all up and see if it is worth the hassle and money. I have 1000K to spend for the entire deal, and the Shop is not charging me a dime for their labor. Not pretty but, better than I thought for. So really, I still need to get a WP, Radiator, T-stat, fan clutch, and all gaskets, assemble the engine and drop it in, if it runs, hopefully I will have a few weeks to drive it, and if it works, I will head EAST.

Another hope is RADCAM from TDS just put a 5.9 Cummins in his truck, and I PM-ed him what he did with his old 7.3, if that is any good and he doesn't want to much for it, I can maybe put that in. Not sure yet. Still fishin. If you guys have info for the Gasket sets, please send them my way. I need to start doing some cost analysis on this. Scotty

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man you are not kidding. the truck and all you guys have been great, but it is reaching the point I have thrown alot of money at the rig, and it still does not run. Even knowing that with a dropped in engine, how long will it hold out? We'll see.. I am leaning towards doing the drop in deal, and if I can do it for under a 1000 I will get it done, if not, Scott, stand by with your truck, I will have two rigs for you. Scotty

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sounds like there's going to be too many pairs of hands there as it is LOL but if I can be of any assistance, I'm more than happy to help wherever I can...just let me know :cool

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scotty, don't even suggest parting out that rig. $500 to $999 for a decent motor from a wrecked truck and it's good to go.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just would have to find one of them engines first. 1000 is my top money I am allowed to spend and that has to include the radiator and fan clutch, and all the little stuff to get that engine back into the truck. I need to be able to use this truck to cross the states without putting a quart of oil in it every couple miles. So any of you that have a running known good engine or know of one, lemme know. Also, it probably has to be somewhat close to me, so I can actually put it in.

I did talk to Gary (SuperF350) and he is a really good guy (go figure HE IS A MARINE) and he is on board with using his block and heads. Plan is, if the parts are not hugely outta this world, we will pull his engine from his truck, then pull mine, put all new stuff on his insert it back into my carcass.

But if you guys know or have even heard of a guy that wants my truck as is, lemme know, I won't ask for much. Honest guys, I have hit the point of diminishing returns. Need to stay somewhat smart with this. The wife will give me the big D if I go over budget. Good solid suggestions are what I need now. Scotty

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
geonc said:
SUPER's 6.9 block.......just needs rings and a hone job?

Do you think it would be worth that trouble, or just put it back together with studs and call it good? Remember I am trying to save some money, and don't expect miracles, but if I take the piston out, would I have to do bearing and such also? Just wondering. Scotty

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Scotty... I'll give you a fan clutch that worked when I upgraded to the modified one I'm now running. I'll also throw in a rebuilt water pump that has never been used. This is all free for the taking. Just let me know if you need it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RustyNail351

Members online