hpop for a 99

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
ok, i know i aint posted in a long time. both the trucks been runnin good, so no need to call the experts!:rotflmao well, i'm havin trouble with my early 99. the hpop is leaking, and my "friend" at the service shop says he will only charge me 500 bucks to replace it if i bring him the pump:puke: . my questions to the gurus are:hail : where can i find the pump? how tough is it to put in? 500 labor seems steep, right? any mods i can do along the way?:hail you guys rock some serious ass, and if i ever get to meet one of ya, there will be some serious beer drinkin.. girl chasin.. 4wheelin.. goin on. not necassarily in that order, but all involved!:cool

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my questions to the gurus are:hail : where can i find the pump? how tough is it to put in? 500 labor seems steep, right?

Do you mean where is the HPOP physically located on the engine or do you mean where can you buy a replacement?

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
i need to know where i can purchase a replacement. the pump is physically located under the fuel filter and between lots of fun stuff to pull apart, right? i checked beans website, but only saw the stealth systems.. i can't afford that right now! besides, i think this truck is stayin pretty basic so i can afford more upgrades to Li'l Tugger (the 95)! i can always check fleabay or junkyards, but that thing looks like a ****** to get out so i don't know if i want to mess with a junkyard or not! i thought yall might have some good input on a reasonable upgrade since it seems like a weak point for most upgraders. thanks again folks!:hail

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
only real upgrade is one of the aftermarket setups.or getting the 17* pump if you dont already have it.are you absolutely positive that the HPOP itself is leaking and not an oring on the lines or the lines them selves?500 is way way way too much for an HPOP replacement.id charge maybe 150-200 to do itits not that difficult even in the 99-up trucks.i can swap my HPOP in about 30 minutes :D

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
wow, 1hour huh? the shop guy said it would take his helper all day! i'm not sure that it is the pump itself.. that's what he told me. i haven't been able to pinpoint the leak myself. if it's just a 1hour job, i might put an o-ring kit in it and see if that works. i found a few pumps on ebay.. 200-300 bucks. that's about what i figured. does anybody have instructions for removing it? the pump is the entire housing under the fuel filter, right? i think there's 3-4 oil lines running to it. when i have a chance to dry dock it for a while, i will look at it more closely and see if it's even worth jackin with. could a leaky pump cause performance issues? it seems to leave a bigger spot in the driveway hte harder i run it, and when i have the ts chip on 140 and i punch it, it almost sound like detonation in a gas engine:eek: ok, my mutt is molesting me, so i have to go now. thanks guys!

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive got a spare 99+ HPOP on the bench here. ;)

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
i thought it might just be a line or o-ring, but the mechanic told me it's probably the pump. he knew i would bring my own pump in, so he wasn't trying to make money off that, but it still seemed strangecookoo 95nomore.. is the early 99 pump the same as 99.5? mine's an early 99, which i'm learning can be a real pain to get parts for! how much do you want for that "spare" provided it will fit my truck?? HAPPY TURKEY DAY EVERYONE!!!!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the difference in the early '99 and later pumps?
I got one from the stealership and they wanted a VIN to determine early or late model. $1000 plus core. yowch. They needed the truck back up asap so the extra pop was cheaper than having the truck down waiting on mail order. They told me to keep the core and see if it can be rebuilt. I can do that;p

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the only real difference is some of the 99+ had a 17 degree swash plate.other then that the 94.5-95 had a valve in the pump to keep it from bleeding down.then they changed that in 96 so that valve is not needed.but you cant use the 96-up pumps on the 94.5-95 PSDs without a few mods to keep the system from bleeding down over a day or 2.1,000.00 for a pump from ford?was it gold plated?i got my remaned 17 degree pump from ford for 500.00

cnomad172

li'l tugger inc.
Reaction score
ok, so what's the advantage of a 17* pump? i've seen some people asking what was needed to put them on, but never heard the difference.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
your stock pump will keep up with your stock injectors just fine.most will keep up with stage 1 injectors but when you get to stage 2s and bigger is where the 17 degree pump is needed.although some 15 degree pumps are able to keep up with stage 2s.as long as your truck is a 96-up you need nothing to replace a 15 with a 17.