how well does an IDI tow?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I like the V8 for some things but a in-line 6[ of any kind ] just makes sooo much torque. That's why they put them in trucks and equipment. I couldn't decide either and I found another F250 first. I don't care for 'strokes simply because it's electronic. I don't have good luck with electronics.LOL!!

Hey, there's no arguing a cummins is nice, but I really like the simplicity of my IDI. It was comforting last fall when I spent three months travelling with my 5th wheel around the western US knowing teh only electronics was teh fuel shutoff solenoid ;Sweet When I travel in my car, I carry a whole friggen box of spare sensors and computers, and pray that I have the correct one that might happen to go.

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
A turboed IDI will pull a combined weight of 28,000 or so just fine. Don't expect to win any speed races at that weight though.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure you have a pyro and trans temp gauge for pulling heavy!

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
There is no comparison. The IDI will be so far behind a PSD towing, it wouldnt even be funny. Not saying the IDI will not get you there, but probably a half hour later.
I towed a 12k mini on a 3k trailer last fall(21k gross). It went surprising well taking off and on the flat. But as soon as I hit ANY hill I had to start down shifting(ALOT) I was on a 45MPH road doing 20MPH:eek: Flat to the floor in 2nd gear, thank god the hill was not longer because I was loosing speed and would of been down in 1st pretty soon. By hill i mean a hill, NOT a mountain. You just have to take an IDI for what it is, a slow going, fuel sipping work machine
You must be registered for see images attach

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will tow it fine, if you are on flat ground. My n/a truck barely(15-20mph) made up some hills with 9K behind me. A couple of the same loads later, my tranny blew. The grades were steep like 20%. If your not turbo'd, you aren't going up any hills with 12K behind you.

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Diesel_brad is see you run oversized tires. Could that have been your towing problem? There is something to running stock skinny tires, less rolling resistance, and they don't kill your gear ratio.

wmoguy

Reaction score
Diesel_brad is see you run oversized tires. Could that have been your towing problem? There is something to running stock skinny tires, less rolling resistance, and they don't kill your gear ratio.

I think his truck is N/A as well, which would make a tremendous difference in towability too

onus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what i was thinking. I know these with turbos make modern diesel power. My truck N/A was used to tow a horse all the time (years) by the previous owner till two weeks ago. Only reason she sold the truck is she is moving across the country, and also got a 2001 7.3 since this truck is so rusty and it owes her nothing after owning it 10 years. This one also has 330,000 miles on it so it was time for her to move on. Before she had a 6.9. I didn't hear her talk about this one being bad at towing a horse. While not the heaviest they arn't exactly the most pleasant thing to tow so I've been heard.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

I think his truck is N/A as well, which would make a tremendous difference in towability too

Yes, My truck has larger than stock tires by 2.9" and it is also N/A but a turbo is only adding about 20hp unless you have the screw turned . But agin my truck also runs 19 sec in the 1/4 mile, which is what some turboed trucks run

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

Yes, My truck has larger than stock tires by 2.9" and it is also N/A but a turbo is only adding about 20hp unless you have the screw turned . But then again my truck also runs 19 sec in the 1/4 mile, which is what some turboed trucks run, so my truck is a good runner

snaponprofile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, My truck has larger than stock tires by 2.9" and it is also N/A but a turbo is only adding about 20hp unless you have the screw turned . But then again my truck also runs 19 sec in the 1/4 mile, which is what some turboed trucks run, so my truck is a good runner

;Really
A turbo adds much more than 20hp bud.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
I've owned 6 IDI's since 2003, all but 1 were NA. I've towed several loads that were pushing 12k, and it is SLOW going. Heck, empty truck it's hard for an idi to maintain highway speed on some hills. The two PSD's I owned in that time ('97, '00) would run laps around any of my idi's. They're night and day in the power category, especially when wound up over 2500 rpms. The reason I've stuck with an IDI is they're extremely cheap to maintain compared to a PSD.

superduty12v

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well, im probably gonna mod the IDI turbo a little. im going to try to find a sidewinder setup, and get a new downpipe rather than the factory squashed one. work my way with an exhuast and an intake, is there a fuel screw on these beasts? and i may go for the moose pump, and fab myself up an I/C.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
well, im probably gonna mod the IDI turbo a little. im going to try to find a sidewinder setup, and get a new downpipe rather than the factory squashed one. work my way with an exhuast and an intake, is there a fuel screw on these beasts? and i may go for the moose pump, and fab myself up an I/C.

How does that saying go about the "pot and the window to throw it out of":rotflmao