How to use Ferret Timing Adapter

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
While reading another member's thread about wanting to be able to time their own truck, I was reminded of the fact that I got a Ferret Timing adapter for Christmas but haven't been able to use it...

I have set it up and observed a consistent flashing in the timing light, but I have yet to find any timing marks on the front of the engine/ harmonic balancer. Could someone enlighten me so that I can enjoy the wondrous joy that is proper timing? :angel: :D :hail

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Providing someone hasn't removed it, there is a tab on the passenger side with two round holes in it. Next to one of them is a 0 and a - , this is your TDC mark take a while paint pen and highlight the - and also the groove in the balancer to make them easier to line up . Then take some fine sandpaper and clean off #1 injector line close to the injector and attach the clamp( injector under the fuel filter ) and attach the ground clip close to it if possible double check with ohmmeter that you have ground. Fire it up, have a helper hold it at 2000 rpms and check timing, set advance on timing light to 9.7 deg and see where your timing falls. Adjust pump as needed.

NCheek

Howdy
Reaction score
IIRC, the sheetmetal tab is there, I'll just have to do some heavy duty cleaning to be able to read it. I have had success in everything else, I just couldn't see the marks even after completely ruining a wire brush trying to clean that dang tab...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only thing you're going to see is a tab and the 0 mark for TDC. Cleaning all that grit off is going to be fun.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Might want to use some strong cleaners and take it easy with the wire brush. Wouldn't want to go bonzo with the thing and wind up with a bunch of extra marks there -cuss

Slade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the shorter hole that is closer to the ground that has the index line. The other is taller for a probe.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup the taller hole has no marks but it represents 20*ATDC which is why if you use it you have to type in -20* on a snap on or any of the other old units, but of course you don't have to mess with that on a Ferret.

forcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also if your timing light does not not pick up the signal from your ferret, take the timing light connector( the part that you hook to the spark plug wire) and remove it fom your ferret and flip it 180 degerees and re-connect. Its hard to explain but some timing lights will only pick the signal up one way direction one the ferret. My timing light end has a arrow on it that shows a direction from coil to plug. Its wierd but it will only work that way on the ferret meter if that makes sense.