How to steal your own truck

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could you not have called up a local 12 year old car thief, here the kids take our trucks for joy rides all the time and start them in 13 miniutes:rotflmao:rotflmao. Winnipeg : Car theft captal of Canada.

wow, i think with a cordless impact i could swap the column and start it with my own key in 13 miniutes:rotflmao

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't bother wih a secret override switch, just label one big button "START."
then connect it to the horn.
You'll know when someone stealing that *******...

That is a great idea. :thumbsup:

I have a friend that worked for a local GM dealership.

He told me that they had accumulated hundreds of keys for all makes of vehicles.

They handled a large quantity of used vehicles, both trade-ins and auction purchases.

Whenever they needed a key, they would resort to their collection; and, sooner or later, would find one that worked.

The next time someone gets in the same kind of pickle, try around the dealerships and see if they also have a bunch of keys.

It seems to be common practice around here for dealers, both new and used, to keep a bunch of keys just for such circumstances.

In my own experiences, I have often found that a wrong key could possibly be made to work by inserting it and then pulling it back out partway, until you feel it start to work.

I have used this trick on vehicles, house-doors, and tool-box locks.

It won't work every time with just any old key, but it works more often than one would think. ;Really

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard they only make about 250 different keys/locks for cars/trucks.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
door lock is different. My buddy is here who is a locksmith...he found a number on it that he's going to try and cut it from. If not...I'm just going to drill out the ignition I guess.

ask him if he knows any OLD locksmiths, like 60+

there's a guy here local like that, he's in his 70's, he cut me a set of keys by hand with a file from blanks in about 45 minutes, charged me $30 for 3 sets, and they work smoother than the keys to my dad's new car

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We misplaced the keys to a GMC, gave a local dealer the VIN# and they cut new ones for us - it only took an hour and we were back on the road.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ask him if he knows any OLD locksmiths, like 60+

there's a guy here local like that, he's in his 70's, he cut me a set of keys by hand with a file from blanks in about 45 minutes, charged me $30 for 3 sets, and they work smoother than the keys to my dad's new car

What ^^^ he ^^^ said.

I had about forgot about it until reading that post.

Several years ago, I had a vehicle that I didn't have any door keys for.

I parked in front of a store I was fixing to enter when I noticed the van next to me had "LOCKSMITH" on it.

As I was going in, an old geezer with a shirt-tag saying "LOCKSMITH" was going out.

I told him of my key-less dilemna.

During the ten minutes I was in the store, he made me two keys that worked perfect, and he never removed anything from the door; he didn't even open them, doing all his work from outside.

He charged me all of twelve-bucks. ;Sweet

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
Darn coulda saved you some time and hassle with this if I'd have been home... Look up "knock key" on youtube and freak yourself out on how easy it is to bypass tumblers...

Your locksmith buddy sucks, a hand filed key is super easy and the easiest one to do is a ford ignition so that in itself speaks volumes... :rotflmao

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
I just glued my key in my ignition, can't loose it now :)...

PS. Please don't come steal my truck now :p

Actually I have a secret override switch ;Really I guess if you know an IDI though all you need to do is run 12volt to the FSS and the starter relay...

1994IDI

Reaction score
this is why i always have a spare key in my wallet..

That is where I keep mine. It's saved me a couple of times. Glad your back on the road.

I don't mean to hijack, but can someone post some particulars on the installation of a manual override? Seems to be a likeable upgrade.

Last edited:

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
We misplaced the keys to a GMC, gave a local dealer the VIN# and they cut new ones for us - it only took an hour and we were back on the road.

That on;y works if the original lock cylinder is still in the thing

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
this is why i always have a spare key in my wallet..

Same here. I've had a spare in my wallet ever since my boy locked my keys in the thing with the keys turned on ( he thought he was helping ), while we were at the airport to pickup grandma, just before leaving on a long trip with her with the 5er. Couldn't get AAA out and ended up breaking the wing window in the airport parking lot, trying to explain to the cops, why I was breaking into a truck in the airport parking lot :angel:. then rushing across the city to the auto glass place just before they closed and lucking out to find they had a new wing glass in stock and having to pay to get that put in.