How to steal your own truck

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
What about the little plastic thing that's shaped like a key that comes with the truck? Or if you take the column out there is one pin that you drill and the cylinder comes out, but then you need a new one.

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You confused me on the plastic thing...
Is it the hole on the bottom of the ignition that I should drill out?

Man this thread makes me look and feel stupid.

hayisforhorses

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hang in there man I have been watching this post just out of curiosity and I haven't got a clue as to what they are talking about yet neither. The brain trust here will get it explained to us soon enough!

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive tried drilling the pin underneath the key cylinder and really didnt accomplish anything. Ive also drilled out a key cylinder and didnt do much more then mess the collar up when trying to install a new cylinder.

If you can find a diagram that shows where the key lock is and get rid of that, the key cylinder should be able to be turned and pulled out. On the older column you could pretty much tear it down from inside the cab. I would wait to here back from your buddy on the key, maybe (if you know anyone there, check with a ford dealer and see if they can pull the vin and cut a key. This would only work though if it was the original set of keys.

79GLIDE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Carefully drill out the center of the switch housing. I've done this procedure multiple times on salvage steering columns because typically the keys are gone. Start with a small bit and go progressively larger until the pins in the cylinder fall out, or can be picked out. Be careful not to drill beyond the lock cylinder, as you will damage the opening that the switch seats into. I use Vice Grips or similar device to hold the collar while drilling, otherwise the steering column switch housing will get trashed and you'll have to replace the entire column. Once you have the pins out, you will be able to turn the switch, push the release pin and remove the switch. Run down to your local parts store and get a new lock cylinder with keys for $10. Easier than replacing the steering column with a salvage, which would probably require the same treatment anyway.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the interest of not damaging everything trying to remove the lock...
1. Did you check all the pockets of your dirty clothes.
2. you have a friend who is a locksmith. Can he make an impression key or pick the lock? If he can't then,
3.call a local towing company and find out who makes keys for their auction cars.
4. if you have any other ford keys laying around try using the jiggle method. insert key into lock wiggling up n down and moving in n out no more than a 1/4 inch while applying extremely light pressure in the lock turning motion. <- this may be a shot in the dark for you but I have a key bucket so it works very well for me.

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a friend come over and he had 6 keys, none worked. So we said eff it. Put a screw driver in it and turned it with channel locks. Scary how easy that was. The key that Dan made by doing the "impression" didn't work but now it works ;) haha

I really appreciate everything you guys did to try and help.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
door lock is different. My buddy is here who is a locksmith...he found a number on it that he's going to try and cut it from. If not...I'm just going to drill out the ignition I guess.

P.S. Stacks are coming soon ;) dual 6" mitre cut

O you already changed the key switch

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score
I would dis-able the column-lock and wire everything through big toggles and a push-button start, with a secret hidden master over-ride switch. ;Really

Don't bother wih a secret override switch, just label one big button "START."
then connect it to the horn.
You'll know when someone stealing that *******...

psychohawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a friend come over and he had 6 keys, none worked. So we said eff it. Put a screw driver in it and turned it with channel locks. Scary how easy that was. The key that Dan made by doing the "impression" didn't work but now it works ;) haha

I really appreciate everything you guys did to try and help.

So are you planning to replace the lock? Or just use the door key in the ignition for show? Also, is your first stop tomorrow a trip to your local hardware store for spare door keys???

Keys, all my cars: 1) Daily carry; 2) Spare in the house; 3) Spare hidden on the Car/Truck. Saved me a few times, well worth the $2/key.

Congrats!
Carl

Willie Two

Retired Firefighter
Reaction score
Could you not have called up a local 12 year old car thief, here the kids take our trucks for joy rides all the time and start them in 13 miniutes:rotflmao:rotflmao. Winnipeg : Car theft captal of Canada.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online