How to steal your own truck

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you tell me, YES I know I'm an idiot!
OK, so I only have one key for my truck. Generally I leave them in my truck and if for some reason I take them out they are on the island in the kitchen. Wellll they are neither place. Any ideas on how I can start mytruck? the dealer only goes back to 02. sonofabitch! thanks in advance guys!

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check under the dog, he/she is setting on the key.:dunno :rotflmao:rotflmao

Seriously tho: Gotta take the switch out cause it locks the steering wheel. After you get it out, I think a locksmith can pin it for any like key.

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate stupid questions, but how do you get it out. My friend's parents own a locksmith and he said I need to get it out. Got the plastic covers off but can't figure it out :(

yotee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate stupid questions, but how do you get it out. My friend's parents own a locksmith and he said I need to get it out. Got the plastic covers off but can't figure it out :(

only way i know is with the key:dunno

GenLightening

Yeah, it's a CHEVY!
Reaction score
You have to either use the key or pick it. The lock needs to be turned to the run position and then a release button is pushed to remove the lock.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you had the older 87-91 column its pretty easy to pull the entire column and replace the collar with the key cylinder. I just got done doing this on a column that I sold and found that the keys had disappeared. I took two columns apart and swapped the collar and put them all back together. Worked perfectly. As for the 92 and up columns, ive never dealt with pulling those apart. Ive seen people use a pair of heavy pliers to twist the key cylinder into the run position in order to remove it. Ive never had any luck doing this and usually twist the outside part of the key cylinder until it snaps, then Im forced the remove the column and drill everything.

Anyway you look at it, its usually not that much fun. I think the easiest way would be to swap out the entire column or find another column and pull it apart and see if you can swap parts around to replace the part of the collar that the key cylinder slides into.

fury9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
call a repo business or a tow company, but I know that costs money. They had my 94 fixed WITH a key in an hour. On a rig that sweet you probably wouldn't want to rip the ignition out. But if you did and you were me, I would use a dent puller and rip the thing out. or drive a screwdriver in with a hammer, or drill it out with a large drill bit. I've never tried this so it's probably bad advice. But that's just what I would do. Something would probably get broke and end up costing me more than it would have been for the repo man to come out. Just my $2. Where's the stacks?.......... BTW sweet rig! :hail

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
If you have any other ford keys you might see if they would allow you to turn the lock cylinder, sometimes you get lucky.

You could probably start it if you hotwire the FSS, jump the GP solenoid for a few seconds, then jump the starter solenoid to kick it off. You still cant steer it of course.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would dis-able the column-lock and wire everything through big toggles and a push-button start, with a secret hidden master over-ride switch. ;Really

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Here's how its probably gonna end up going. You're gonna take a 3/8" drill (I believe, check before doing it) and drill the ignition switch out. I have had to do it twice now, not because of loosing the keys but because of the switch breaking.

rckslash2010

Reaction score
Pull your steering wheel off, grab a screw driver, and hammer. Smash in the tabs that lock the steering wheel. You should be able to hit it hard enough to slide that rod up and turn on your ignition. I have a push button start on my truck, but you could ground out the seleniod to start it.LOL
It probably isn't the right way of doing it, but it worked for me. My truck was broke down 85 miles from home, and when I went back the next day I forgot my keys at home. I was a little pissed anyway, so that made it easier for me to smash my steering column.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
Easy fix.

1 Pull a door lock from the door.
2 take it to a lock smith
3 have them make KEYS to fit your door lock
4 come home an use new KEYS to start the truck
5 put door lock back in the truck

Rollin Coal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
door lock is different. My buddy is here who is a locksmith...he found a number on it that he's going to try and cut it from. If not...I'm just going to drill out the ignition I guess.

P.S. Stacks are coming soon ;) dual 6" mitre cut

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
If worse comes to worse....remove the steering column locks as mentioned, wither disconnect the trans cable and manually put in drive before starting.

Engage e brake!!! IMPORTANT STEP!!! lol

Go to front of truck and run hot wire from battery to FSS and GPR to "hot wire"

Cross over starter solenoid and you're gold.

When my shifter column broke and the key stuck, I had to manually shift my trans under the truck, get in and start it...then take off. It's a PITA, but it'll get you home!!

Could you get another lock and key from a parts truck ( I may have a couple at home free, just shipping) and install it. Cheaper than dealer parts!

I have 3 keys to my truck. One hidden under the hood (I know what you're thinking, but you don't need to open my hood from in the cab...it can be done outside the truck if you know how to do it) one on my key ring and my better half has a key (even though she claims to hate the truck and is scared to drive it).

I do feel your pain man!!