how to inspect my DMF

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 1993 F-250 supposedly has the original clutch and flywheel (almost 250K). It seems to function fine, a little shimmy when engaging the clutch. I pulled the inspection plate hoping to find a SMF but it appears to be a valeo DMF. Is Valeo the original manufacturer of these? I looked at the visible springs on the front of the flywheel and they all look like they are in one piece and in good shape, I spun the engine to see all of them, they all look good. there is less than 3/4" of movement when I move the deal over the clutch. Is there any thing else to look for. I hate to replace it if I don't need to.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Search dmf
There was a thread not long age on this

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the video, I'm going to go ahead with the conversion. Was just making sure it was necessary. This poor truck hauls a lot of heavy loads during the summer and farming season, pretty crucial for hauling our pumpkin crop out. I just hate spending $900 on a truck I paid $1800 for, lol. Still have to replace more u-joints, replaced all the 2wd ones now have to replace the front shaft's joints and the dreaded front right axle. the left one took me a whole weekend, mainly because I replaced the ball joints, seals ect.. at the same time.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Good call. IMO no sense leaving a dual mass in it. Just moving parts to fail that are hard to get to. Best way to inspect a DMF is on the way to the scrap pile after you have a SMF ready to install.