How to hear over all the normal operation???

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you long time idi owners know from most of my questions im super green with any diesel engine. With that being said as damn loud as they are especially our idi's how do you know if something doesn't sound right internally? Compared to anything gas powered I have owned before I can't get passed just the normal operational sounds the engine is supposed to make to listen for not so good noise's. I can hear a knock sound off and on topside but I can definitely hear it when I put my ear near the oil pan witch is why I have come to ask you guy's.
With that being said I do understand one can make themselves think there is something not sounding right do to over paranoia when all along its just fine.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Maybe you need a better muffler lol I don't think mine is to load. You can hear it rumble more than little 4 cylinder but not much more than a regular v-8. You really just get used to it I guess and the more you drive it the more quickly you will be able to tell when something is off.

Dirtpoor

Reaction score
The noisy operation of my old 7.3 is preferable to the cranky whining of the non-starting 6.0L P-O-S that seems to have been erroneously deposited on my yard. There seems to have been some miscommunication... I do, in fact despise them.

Reaction score
Once you get past the clack clack clack of the injection system and learn to kinda zone that out, it's not that hard to focus in on what the engine is doing.

Mike

Last edited: