How to adjust front door?

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
OK the wind blew my door open and it is now out of whack? the gap between the rear doors is almost and inch? and between the fender is no room? The easy way is to take the fender off and adjust the door? or is there another way? I'll have pictures in the morning...-cuss

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's that far out of whack something got bent big time. Better check where the hinge bolts to the door, that is what I usually see get damaged.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Well it looks like they have been replaced? it almost looks like the front is bent some? Where the hinge meets the body? here are the pictures....:dunno

Attachments

• Picture 207.jpg
    Picture 207.jpg
    499.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Picture 208.jpg
    Picture 208.jpg
    476.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Picture 209.jpg
    Picture 209.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 210.jpg
    Picture 210.jpg
    463.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Picture 211.jpg
    Picture 211.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Picture 212.jpg
    Picture 212.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 9

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear part of the hinge is pulled away from the body. Can you get a pry bar it there somehow to pull it back in?

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Where the hinges attach to the body is probably bent, according to your description. If you can somehow bend that back, you should be OK. That being said, it is a very ticklish proposition, because if you pry on the hinges to get it flat or straight, you will probably pull the entire surface out from the truck, and the front (hinge side) gap will protrude from the fender. Best bet is to take the entire door off and make sure the attachment surface goes back where it belongs. You may have to make a special tool to bolt onto the surface and pry or pound on it.

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it looks like both hinges have done the same thing I think that I would pull the fender and use a BFH with a block of wood to drive it back in. It would be easier to do any finale adjustments that way also

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
Where the hinges attach to the body is probably bent, according to your description. If you can somehow bend that back, you should be OK. That being said, it is a very ticklish proposition, because if you pry on the hinges to get it flat or straight, you will probably pull the entire surface out from the truck, and the front (hinge side) gap will protrude from the fender. Best bet is to take the entire door off and make sure the attachment surface goes back where it belongs. You may have to make a special tool to bolt onto the surface and pry or pound on it.
I was worried about that...

Since it looks like both hinges have done the same thing I think that I would pull the fender and use a BFH with a block of wood to drive it back in. It would be easier to do any finale adjustments that way also
Thanks, that is the way I'll go, should I loosen the bolts while applying the BFH? :backoff This should be fun? I've adjusted doors before but not like this.....:eek:

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No I would leave all the bolts tight so it doesn't bounce around. It might go back into place without ever loosening the bolts. When you pull the fender watch out for any shims, tape each set together and label. Oh, and I would do the BFH adjusting with the door closed.