How much voltage and when to glow plugs

kcdigiacomo

Reaction score
So I have installed the manual bypass for my 1991 7.3L and thought I fixed my non working relay. When I turn on my key I get 6v to all of my glow plugs, is this normal as it is constant with the key in the on position. When I do use the relay button I get 12v as long as its depressed.

Idi93

Ford parts guy
Reaction score
I don't believe there should be any voltage except when using the button

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Sounds like the relay is bad.
Better fix it quick, before all your glowplugs get burnt up.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

kcdigiacomo

Reaction score
Me either so is my relay stuck or half stuck and how do I test another so I don't end up wasting the $80 for the (don't say it) cheap autolite replacements. (I know from reading that they are the worst to put in BUT, until I figure this out I am not buying more expensive ones to burn them up)

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well, just get another relay. The relay itself is fairly cheap.
A good heavy duty starter relay will do the same thing.
Try smacking yours and see if the voltage quits.

kcdigiacomo

Reaction score
How do I know that it is hooked up correctly is there a way to check it first. I already burnt the plugs up

kcdigiacomo

Reaction score
So I know that the big main has 12v constantly, the others have none till you turn the key once you turn the key on what happens next? Is there 6v to anything or no just 12? I don't understand how the relay is suppose to work

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well, we need to backup here.
You mentioned a manual bypass.
Did you leave the factory controller hooked up?

kcdigiacomo

Reaction score
I did leave all the factory things hooked up and connected the wait to start light with it. Was that wrong?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could be.
When you have the pushbutton, no point in leaving the factory controller hooked up, IMO.

kcdigiacomo

Reaction score
I am confused now beyond all belief. How do I hook this up without frying another set of plugs?

kcdigiacomo

Reaction score
Man, I sure wish someone lived around this state that could help because I am lost, almost hopelessly. That diagram looks nothing like mine I have all the color wires that come from a box under the relay they are: White, Black, Red, Green, Yellow and Purple. The purple wire was connected to a plug which I was told ran the WTS light.
The bypass instructions said remove the white wire and hook a wire to the pushbutton directly, IF I wanted WTS cut into it and connect that also to where the white wire goes. Simple sounding enough but I have somehow fried my glow plugs and when the key is in the on position gets 6v to the plugs. When push bypass button get 12v to plugs.

BDOGONE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well if the solenoid is "stuck on" the glow plugs will stay on all the time! Engine/key not even on... So that's prob. not the deal.

Adding a ground circuit to the terminal where the white wire is will activate the solenoid, only when the key is on. You will be able to hear the solenoid engage without the engine running.

There should be close to 12v at the plugs when activated. If not inspect the supply wire to the solenoid. Work back towards the battery from there. (The bad spot might be HOT!)