How much to spend to get an decent 7.3 IDI?

Greg Pettit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI regarding the kingpin axle, my 1991 has a kingpin D60.

I just hauled a 1993 CC 4x4 to the scrapyard for 300 bucks, still had the engine in it.

That was a parts truck I bought for cheap to convert my '95 CC to 4x4.

The trucks are out there, and can be found with a little digging. I would also consider an automatic over a 5-speed for plowing.

Greg

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, thats the one. At least all the glow plugs work in that truck, it'll start up in the dead of January with a temp of 10 below zero, without being plugged in.:D

Yeah, the '86 gots the plugs now, and they work, but it just don't wanna spin fast enough to get the combustion going. Even with my monster batteries (that spool my engine like a freakin turbine) it still cranks slow. You guys put a new starter, so I'm suspecting the cables for it all, especially considering how the positive terminal clamp on the right battery looks like tis about to fall apart. We gonna visit a welding supply store next week and take care of that, then we gotta do the return lines and it should be good.

i may be in the minority but if you are buying the truck to plow snow with, i'd get an automatic and put a big cooler on it.
Or, be like me, with two big flat coolers, inline - and they still get pretty warm ;)

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Yeah, the '86 gots the plugs now, and they work, but it just don't wanna spin fast enough to get the combustion going. Even with my monster batteries (that spool my engine like a freakin turbine) it still cranks slow. You guys put a new starter, so I'm suspecting the cables for it all, especially considering how the positive terminal clamp on the right battery looks like tis about to fall apart. We gonna visit a welding supply store next week and take care of that, then we gotta do the return lines and it should be good.

Yes I agree that the cables could be replaced, the positive side of the circuit looked pretty rough. I replaced all the battery cables on my 86 and it made all the differance in the world.;Sweet