How much boost ?

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've searched both here and over at fte for what is safe boost for stock compression with studs.

Right now the motor is stock with a non wg banks turbo with typ 4 compressor mod and easily pins my 15 lb. boost gauge.
I'll be installing the typ 4 cam and a Bull moose pump along with a PS intercooler and studs, so my thinking is I'll be seeing 20 +/- lbs. of boost.

Is there a general opinion on what is a safe boost limit at stock compression ?

Dennis

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am thinking running 20 psi should about be the limit for an Idi with stock compression.
I have heard that running anything above 13 psi without an intercooler is wasted boost, due to the turbocharger "super-heating" the air going into the engine. Sounds like you plan on installing an intercooler which will fix that issue. Installing studs, typ4's torque cam, & bull moose is a great combo IMO. Those mods will really wake up your engine without sacrificing longevity & reliability....as long as egt's are closely monitored.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno...seen some pics while back of a bent rod and engine kinda *****....50psi...heads held...bottom end didnt.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Best guess is about 20 should be a limit. How did you install the studs? If you removed the heads. Used flepro head gaskets and studs after the block and heads were surfaced. Its my guess 20 is going to be fine. Once again its how any work was done that tells us how well something will hold up to more boost. What studs did you use is another great question and did you use the correct stud lube. What was the torque. Answer these questions and a better answer can be posted.

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Years back it was 10-12 lbs. were safe then 13-15 before losing hg, now we have studs that took care of the hg problem (within reason), so did we move the bar up to 17-20 or is it just safer to run 15 lbs. ?

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best guess is about 20 should be a limit. How did you install the studs? If you removed the heads. Used flepro head gaskets and studs after the block and heads were surfaced. Its my guess 20 is going to be fine. Once again its how any work was done that tells us how well something will hold up to more boost. What studs did you use is another great question and did you use the correct stud lube. What was the torque. Answer these questions and a better answer can be posted.

A little backround, My motor runs great so this is not being done to fix a problem.
I had Russ do his compressor mod on my ng banks and at the same time I got one of his cams, now I,m getting ready to install the cam along with the 910 springs, Felpro hg and ARP studs along with their lube.
No the block and heads will not be resurfaced.
As far as the torque on the studs, Some say 80 others 100 and as much as 125.

kcwright1979

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm using international Hg's torqued to 130ft lbs with ARP's lube so far I've seen 21 psi with 950 degrees unloaded @ WOT haven't really pulled anything heavy to get that turbo working hard yet.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My truck has 100k on its build, 13-15 intercooled. highest ever was 19. with a 6.9 , I say 15. JM2CW. And stock torque + 10 ft lbs if you like, I dont.

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ' for the uneducated , whats the 2 lines saying?
Typo?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Mine has seen 15+psi a lot. In fact, I held 15+ psi for several minutes at a time climbing grades from Texas to Oregon.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online