How much boost?

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How much boost are you guys making with the hypermax system?

Just wondering, becuase I just got mine running and the guages hooked up and the most I saw was around 8psi. I'm still breaking the motor in and no load behind it. Is this normal? I was just hoping for a little more.

69dieselfreak

well that nice
Reaction score
i have the hypermax turbo with a few tweaks to the pump and wraping the up pipes in header wrap ive seen unloaded in 3rd gear 14psi just for moment

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Header wrap...it seems to help with the boost #s. Now as for your question it seems like 8psi, nothing wrong with that. I'd say that's normal. How are your egts and how much if any has the fuel been turned up?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you've seen 8 on flat ground without a load, you'd see a dang site more climbing a hill with a load, as in, better keep an eye on the pyrometer. Exactly what were the conditions where you were getting 8?

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just rebuilt the motor with most new stuff. New heads, arp studs, new beru glugs, .40 over mahle pistons, good head gaskets, milled the exhuast manifolds flat to run no gaskets, new injection pump, new fuel pump(mech.). I got a hypermax kit off ebay for a steal without the pipes. I sent the turbo back to hypermax for a rebuild and ordered the pipes and some other small parts. I did wrap the up pipes and down pipe when I installed it. I also did a open element cone filter, to get rid of the factory unit.

I have not touched the pump(yet). To get 8psi, I was ******* 2nd(t18), gave it about 3200 rpm's and got about 800egt's and alittle smoke.

I'm glad to see this is about normal. I just need to hook a load to it and see if I can give it some more fuel. This is my first oilburner, and so far I'm liking it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If the EGT was only at 800 you weren't pushing it hard at all, you can go ahead and start turning the fuel up at the pump a flat at a time here's ziggsters page if you don't have it yet . I've always found the , removing the cover plate and looking at the gear to be the easiest way to get the pump into position to get to the little allen bolt fitting to adjust the thing. If you use anaerobic gasket sealer on that thing, it makes it a lot easier to clean off the next time you go in there to mess with it ;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
By yhe way, where do you have the probe for your pyrometer mounted, is it before the turbo or after the turbo? If it's before the turbo you have plenty of room to play with , if it's after the turbo, not much.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its been awhile but my hypermax was pushing 10-11ish I think. EGT's would hit 1400 if I let them. That was in the 86 250 6.9 w/ c6 4:10 gears.

hotford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My probe is before the turbo in the factory hypermax location. I also don't have much exhaust, which may be helping the egt's. It goes from the factory hypermax downpipe to a couple of free flowing adpaters to 4in and out the bed through a single 4in stack.

The 1st time I drove it I didn't yet have the gauges hooked up and I didn't have the intake on it, just some wire mesh to keep stuff out. It seemed to build more boost and build it alot faster and easier. My intake is a homemade unit using a K/N cone filter that is feed through a 2.5in tube. Is my intake chocking the truck down? Do I need a bigger feed pipe? I figured this has to be better than the factory set-up.

Thanks for the help.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
mines still n/a, but i got a ram-air tube plummed into the factory air box, with a big hole cut in the radiator support area so i could fit the scoop, and a good high flow air filter. help alot with power and reduced my smoke.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
My probe is before the turbo in the factory hypermax location. I also don't have much exhaust, which may be helping the egt's. It goes from the factory hypermax downpipe to a couple of free flowing adpaters to 4in and out the bed through a single 4in stack.

The 1st time I drove it I didn't yet have the gauges hooked up and I didn't have the intake on it, just some wire mesh to keep stuff out. It seemed to build more boost and build it alot faster and easier. My intake is a homemade unit using a K/N cone filter that is feed through a 2.5in tube. Is my intake chocking the truck down? Do I need a bigger feed pipe? I figured this has to be better than the factory set-up.

Thanks for the help.

With your pyrometer pickup pre turbo you have plenty of room to turn the injection pump up, just watch your gauges when you do, it will surprise you.
unless you plan on parking that thing everytime it rains, get rid of that cone filter setup and get an airbox on that thing that will shed water, with a water drain on it. Any of the factory type air boxes, or the hypermax air box should do. If you wand increased air flow going into it, get a hypermax cowl induction, it does wonders

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
With your pyrometer pickup pre turbo you have plenty of room to turn the injection pump up, just watch your gauges when you do, it will surprise you.
unless you plan on parking that thing everytime it rains, get rid of that cone filter setup and get an airbox on that thing that will shed water, with a water drain on it. Any of the factory type air boxes, or the hypermax air box should do. If you wand increased air flow going into it, get a hypermax cowl induction, it does wonders

i second the hypermax cowl induction

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
just remember... to get more air in, you need to get more air out. hypermax sizes there turbos to boost around 8-10 with normal exhaust. over size the exhaust and they boost more

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin