how many volts out of gp relay

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When installing the controller shutoff relay yesterday, I believe I measured some 7-8V at the stud at the end of the crinkle strip, but I'll double-check at a GP tomorrow.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually that is about what the voltage will start at, but it will rise as the glow plugs heat up. A better test of the GP relay is to measure the voltage loss across the terminals. This would give you some idea as to how much resistance the contactors are generating. If there is much of a difference, then your loosing voltage to the glow plugs in the relay.

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
arg i had it working this morning 9v at gp connector.. then this afternoon nothing no volts at the end of the crinkle...hot side 12v i can hear a click when i flip my manual switch but no drop in volts on my stock meter and no volts show up on my volt meter..i assume the relay is shot...

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
arg i had it working this morning 9v at gp connector.. then this afternoon nothing no volts at the end of the crinkle...hot side 12v i can hear a click when i flip my manual switch but no drop in volts on my stock meter and no volts show up on my volt meter..i assume the relay is shot...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New relay we presume? Where did you get the replacement. There is a huge difference in the quality of brand X autoparts versus Motorcraft. Motorcraft contactors have a disc and not a bar, so that the pitting doesn't occur in the same spot all the time. Makes them last a LOT longer than cheapo ones.

You must be registered for see images

Here is a burned up cheap one

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yupp new relay.. its a (standard) brand relay.. i got it from my local auto parts store..i was going to buy one from ford but...when i got there i asked for the gp's i ordered, when i ordered them they parts guy said 19.96cad a plug, i get there and they were 25 and they guy just said *well thats not my problem* he also told me that my relay would be 37 and it came up 64.. and once agian he says *well thats not my problem* i almost got into a fight with this guy.. i know its not his fault i got the wrong prices but they need to train their employees better or somthing. haha o well

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea. Don't be surprised if that standard relay goes out on you in short order.

trugertha1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanx ill keep my eye on the standard.. i was just in a **** poor mood when i was at the dealer, i have another dealer about 40 min away they gave me a better price and knew exactly what i was talking about.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle