How high should I go?

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I just finshed the initial installation of my semi air fitler canister and new intake tubing and I have noticed that all the black smoke I used to see is no more. I hardly see any smoke at all.:dunno

So the question is how much should I turn up my injector pump? I have an ATS non waste gated turbo and straight pipe exhaust.

Another thing to consider is that I am at 6,400 ft above sea level so the air is definetly thinner up here.

No pyro yet it is coming though in a month or so and the turbo gauge is being installed now.

Should I just wait till I get the pyrometer to be safe?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
You definatly need one. I know my truck at 5,000 feet will be almost 150* hotter EGT's when WOT than at sea level. Definatly get a pyro.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I would wait until you get the pyro. These IDI's can get hot in a hurry because of not having an intercooler....

by the way... got some pics of the air cleaner? it's sounds wery interewesting...

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like you have room to play, but wait for the pyro just in case particularly because of your elevation and especially if you use the truck as it's intended to be used and not just as a DD or light hauler. As a work truck or hauling a big trailer its definitely going to be close to meltdown at those altitudes. However you just bought yourself an egt reduction of probably a couple hundred degrees, enough to make a big difference.

aaron1976

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am with you all, I think I will be safe and wait to get a pyrometer installed to mess with the fuel rate as of yet.

I don't have anything big to tow, I tow a small 14ft cam trailer once in a while and a small 11ft single axle trailer, nothing that will really make the truck work however there are mountains out here and going over a pass in very common. I worry about the egt's over the hills.

The air filter setup is great. I did a lot of research and found some info stating that even the early power stroke intakes were to restrictive and needed a filter change at every oil change to be at all efficient.

I know I am getting a lot more airflow through that thing than what it was getting. I will post a picture of the un airfilter and intake system that was in the truck when I got it, not long ago. Also the second picture is of the new canister filter system I adapted.

Still need to finish cleaning up my welds and get the can painted and relocate the radiator overflow and wind shield fluid tank. It will be worth it though.

Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• IMG_0700.jpg
    IMG_0700.jpg
    977.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0705.jpg
    IMG_0705.jpg
    904.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members