How heavy have you loaded your IDI?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I attended the 2001 Ford-Diesel.com rally in Louisville, we got a tour of the KTP, and Ford told us in a seminar that they held, that they know people are going to overload them, so they build in the capability to handle it. I don't think he said what the percentage over is that they figure though.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
When I attended the 2001 Ford-Diesel.com rally in Louisville, we got a tour of the KTP, and Ford told us in a seminar that they held, that they know people are going to overload them, so they build in the capability to handle it. I don't think he said what the percentage over is that they figure though.

Everythings like that though. If you buy a 5hp Briggs and Straton motor, I garentee you that it will be putting out 5.25-5.5hp, so they cant get sued that it isnt making 5hp. I would think the same for trucks, the GVWR isnt the max it can do, because they factor in a safe zone, so that if some guy loaded down at the max weight doesnt break down and be like I thought this truck was rated for it.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 2+ cords of wet pine in 18-20 foot lengths on my flatbed, racing down about a 3000 foot elevation from Crystal Peak into Dog Valley. I stopped when I got to verdi and saw my brakes were smoking pretty good so all I could do was keep on driving and not touch them brakes till I got to Reno.

Crystal Peak = 8,103 ft. above sea level

schoelta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's kind of funny. Here we are all talking of hauling 3000-4000 lbs plus in the bed, and pulling a trailer, and loving the way our trucks pull, and not wanting to get rid of them. However, You don't see many SuperDuty's loaded the way we load out trucks. Kind of make you wonder why?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, my old 1990 is a supertduty but I think it's more because of the actual value of the newer trucks that you don't see much abuse of them yet. I mean it's not too hard to find a $500 f-250 idi from the late 80's but who wants to thrash a $9000+ 1999 or newer superduty that isn't paid off yet?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HOW HEAVY HAVE YOU LOADED YOUR IDI ?

I don't know if you would really consider it a load; but, we regularly, as in doing it for a living, pulled a 28 X 8 (floor-length, before adding however long the neck is) gooseneck livestock trailer, loaded with usually fifteen cows averaging 1600-1800 each.

An average trip will run 500-miles one way, with it not at all unusual to go much farther; we frequently see the West slope of the Rockies.

The truck naked weighs 9800, give or take, according to which extra junk is in the various tool-boxes.

I never weighed the empty trailer.

Since the transplant, we use a 32-footer, with room for a couple more cows.

:backoff Understand that serious work like this is why we DEMAND genuine vacuum-over-hydraulic trailer-brakes and will not compromise with that :puke: elect-draulic junk.

creighta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:eek: I sold a 99 superduty to buy my IDI. I haul 8K worth of gravel and trailer 15mi pretty frequently and the 99 dually would slide to a stop where my IDI just stops normally. The IDI pulls better at low speeds than the PSD too. I bet if I had the 4.10s in my IDI it would pull better at high speed than the superduty.

I also used to have a 20' camper that would squat the superduty about 4". I now have a 28' camper that only drops my 93s bumper about 2"

BTW:How much firewood does it take to bottom out the springs:eek:

I load mine above the rails every week or two in the winter and have never been able to do that:hail :hail LOL

t-roymoose

Reaction score
I was just reading all of the posts and figure I wanted to say a few words.

I hauled some hay on a gooseneck. After I loaded I weighed a bit over 26,000 gcvw. I had about 8 tons of hay on the trailer. The grade leaving the town was steep and you hit the bottom at a whopping 35mph! When you start climbing you are leaving town. I slowed to 15mph all the way up the hill. I just poped in "Cadalac Cowboy" by Chris LeDoux and it pulled steady and didn't give me trouble (didn't get too hot either). I pulled nicely the rest of the trip and rode nice.
My truck is bumpy, it rattles, and it shakes; just like a REAL truck should.

t-roymoose

Reaction score
Ya'll will get a kick out of this one. I was backing a trailer up a steep paved driveway (mine) and I didn't know the front jack was starting to dig into the asphault. I put on some coal and spun a tire. I got out and put it into 4X4. I backed up a bit and stoped, so I put on some more coal on. I positioned the trailer and noticed tar on the jack. I said a few cuss words and looked. I trenched about 5' of my paved driveway about 2' deep! OOPS!

Dirtleg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well not in the bed but here is my heaviest load so far.

You must be registered for see images attach

Track hoe weight was 11,200 lbs. Trailer around 4k and truck around 7K. Somehwere around 22k total. Had a couple of 4% grades to pull which it did just fine in 1st gear @ 3k rpm.:D 7.3 NA w/E4OD 3.55 gears and 34" tires. Pulled it 30 miles each way without issue except for one. I had to pull out from a light up a steep hill and for a moment it seemed like the tranny wasn't going to launch. Then I realized I hadn't shifted it into 1st. Once that was straight no more problems.

Turbo and a built tranny would be a big improvement.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
you guys are nuts!! its awesome. i really have to double check the gears and see exactly what i have, because i pulled gross truck and trailer loaded as 17,000 and i had to pop the hood open to cool her off, heat cranked and a max speed of only about 35mph. rad is probably gone, but she doesnt pull even smaller loads very good.

tractorman86

Reaction score
:eek: something's definately not right! [first] put a Raytech on the top and bottom hoses while it is hot to see if your sender or guage is wrong.[next] get to a good size pressure sprayer take your grill, and fan shroud out and soak the rad fins with a good engine degreaser then wash the hell out of it spray backwards if possible. but be sure not to flatten the fins then you are really screwed. [then]check the thermostat, if that all dosent work find out if your water pump is flowing good.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I dunno what the weight ended up being... but I had a decent load of oak in my truck a while back. Seems to pull just that little extra harder when it has a good load.

Attachments

• oak.JPG
    oak.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 19

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have puuled 24,500 out to Colorado and back, and regularly was pulling 22,000. Not necessarily fast, but i got there.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my old 1990 is a supertduty but I think it's more because of the actual value of the newer trucks that you don't see much abuse of them yet. I mean it's not too hard to find a $500 f-250 idi from the late 80's but who wants to thrash a $9000+ 1999 or newer superduty that isn't paid off yet?
go visit Texas if you want to see the stuffing beat out of newer trucks. they're proud of it toocookoo I regularly get compliments that my old dogs('86&'92) are in pretty good shape for their age:thumbsup:
As far as weights goes, my F450's sees 21.5k rarely, 17k very often.
my '92 f350 sees 8k tare, and recently pulled a 10k trailer.
neither will win any races, but don't come home broken either.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online

No members online now.