How heavy have you loaded your IDI?

Andrew M. Frankli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 93 CC IDI 4x4 with an 8' bed. Yesterday I made a scrap run with 4' sideboards and a washing machine on the roof for a total weight of 11,740 lbs. The ticket says the truck empty was 7500, so this means I had a payload of 4240. The truck felt heavy, for sure, but by no means did it feel like I was at the limit of its capability; no hitting on the bump-stops, the truck pulled and stopped and drove the 25 mile trip just beautifully! According to the door sticker the gvwr is 9600. I think this is what the factory says is the maximum total weight. This would correspond with a "1 ton" truck seeing the empty is almost exactly 2000 pounds less. What do you guys think? How close was I to busting something?? PS this is an F-350. SRW. E4OD.

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's probably about the same weight as an ambulance, so I wouldn't think you were too close to being in danger. The parking brake is usually the first victim of being over weight.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well ifn it was a 70's 3/4 ton I would say you where getting close...to the limit....lmao but no I think not....passed the factory rating yes...but not near the limit the truck could potentially haul. Whats the tire load rating you currently have? That is one thing to keep in mind!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I had 5400 of limestone on my truck a week ago. I don't have the overload brackets on the frame and honestly don't think I would have needed them. I told the guy I wanted 2 ton and he just kept dumping! With only 2X12 sideboard on my 7 X 9 foot bed, gravel was running over all the sides! :) I think he must have read Aric's sig "forget about the mule, just keep loading the wagon!" Anyway, hauled it about 30 miles, hit the button and dumped it off like it was supposed to. Mine is a dually though, and that helps with the tire loading issues.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I put 4000 in the bed of my 93 F250. A week later a broken leaf spring slid out of the pack:bail

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yeah 2 our of my 4 Ferds have had busted springs. 2 out of 2 f250s. the f100 and the 350 so far so good.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I've loaded my truck (well it wasnt then) down really good. When my grandpa moved, I helped him, and we used the old ford. Anyways, we put around 3000 pounds worth of tire chains (for big rigs) in the bed, along with some other things. Then put on a 18' trailer with a couple of those long Snap on tool boxes, at least 1500 pounds each, a couple drill presses, a small to medium small lathe, a failry big mig welder, a tig welder, and some other things. I honestly wouldnt hesitate to say that the trailer weight was around 8000 pounds, and 3000 in the bed. Lets just say we took it easy, and real, real slow LOL.

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Yea I took a couple of loads of scrap to the yard a few of weeks ago, I had just a tad over 4K in the bed. Not my truck but a 94 IDI Turbo Duallly that I had on the lot.

It road real nice!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
we had a 78 f250 we used to haul 6000 lbs regulerly never really haul anything that gets weighed in the IDI but have had over 7000lbs on my PSD

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I've had well over 4000 lbs of firewood in the bed and about the same on a trailer in tow behind. They do ride nice loaded heavy and sure sound good workin hard. Was prolly close to max load cause the overloads were straight out flat.:eek:

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
I've had almost 5000lbs of gravel in my F250...Hauled it for a joke....I have yet to find a load that it suffered from...Firewood, gravel, junk steel and engines....Drives like a dream with the bed full.

sootman73

Reaction score
hauled 10,000 of scrap steel from ann arbor michigan back down to northwest ohio. 1.5 hr drive. unbalanced(trailer was twisted) without trailer brakes! could accelerate up any hill(pretty steep slopes in MI) turbo just a screamin with 17,000+ pound rig! i wont ever get rid of my truck!

kcw12

CrazedCountryRebel
Reaction score
Good thing im a Crazed Country Rebel

My big payload of scrap was a bed full of bolts, starters housings, mostly everything was loaded with a shovel, and a trailer with heavy iron it. Had 8400 in the bed, and 9000 on the trailer.......Give ya this much, I don't think the truck could handle much more. She Grunted and groaned on these hills here. Made bunch of black smoke. Came over the scales at 25580...... I do not recommend this unless your missing lots of brain cells, or a trained professional. O yeah, down hill was fun. Nothing like smoke rolling off the brakes. Next weekend i gotta do an axle brake swamp on the truck going from 4.10s to 3.55s and turning boost up to 14 psi on the turbo.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online