How heavy have you loaded your IDI?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat I see that you got some sweet tow trucks in your sig. Mine is what I would call a 'work in progress'. It has a 17ft Loadoll bed with a stinger and I need to have the track for the bed rewelded since the bed flops around a bit on the right side and has been know to pop off the track. By chance would you have a good ramsey 200 winch 46 to 1 brass gear? It sucks to winch a vehicle up with come-a-longs.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat I see that you got some sweet tow trucks in your sig. Mine is what I would call a 'work in progress'. It has a 17ft Loadoll bed with a stinger and I need to have the track for the bed rewelded since the bed flops around a bit on the right side and has been know to pop off the track. By chance would you have a good ramsey 200 winch 46 to 1 brass gear? It sucks to winch a vehicle up with come-a-longs.
if you have a s/n off the winch I can get you the parts new. never put in used gears unless they are matched. chaces are if you chewed up the brass gear it's from the lack of oil. seal kits are pretty cheap. Did you make to the Reno show a couple of weeks ago?

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1990 F-250, 4X4 7.3 (ATS TURBO, K&N AIR, OREGON STAGE ONE INJECTORS, STRAIGHT PIPED, INJECTOR PUMP CRANKED UP), E4OD TRANNY (STOCK SO FAR), HAD BED FULL OF EQUIPMENT, AND TOWED MY 28 FOOT TRAVEL TRAILER LOADED DOWN. ONLY LIMIT THAT I KNOW OF, IS THE TIRES. THAT INTERNATIONAL WILL TOW/HAUL ANYTHING I WILL EVER NEED.

MARQ - BOISE, IDAHO

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat I saw the trucks that were on 4th St. between the Legacy and Eldorado but it was a busy time for me with other things so I didn't go this year.
I should also say that I'm not in the tow biz. I'm a pizza delivery driver. I bought the truck for personal use and occasionaly make a few bucks on the side from friends. I only paid $4000 for the running tow truck and part of that was on payments ;) .
When I bought the truck last year the winch was wiped out already because the tweeker mechanics decided to grease the winch instead of using gear lube and the whole winch was destroyed including the aluminum side housings. I bought a real nice pto winch for super cheap but the gear in that is a 60-1 so no matching that to a hyd shaft.
Also because of those tweeker mechs, I have alot of things to put back to right on the truck. Wish it had a Century or Jerrdan bed but I can make do with the loadoll.
I looked on the old winch case and the numbers are pretty much destroyed. I think the winch is 121768 and the gear is 334163 from the ramsey cat.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat I saw the trucks that were on 4th St. between the Legacy and Eldorado but it was a busy time for me with other things so I didn't go this year.
I should also say that I'm not in the tow biz. I'm a pizza delivery driver. I bought the truck for personal use and occasionaly make a few bucks on the side from friends. I only paid $4000 for the running tow truck and part of that was on payments ;) .
When I bought the truck last year the winch was wiped out already because the tweeker mechanics decided to grease the winch instead of using gear lube and the whole winch was destroyed including the aluminum side housings. I bought a real nice pto winch for super cheap but the gear in that is a 60-1 so no matching that to a hyd shaft.
Also because of those tweeker mechs, I have alot of things to put back to right on the truck. Wish it had a Century or Jerrdan bed but I can make do with the loadoll.
I looked on the old winch case and the numbers are pretty much destroyed. I think the winch is 121768 and the gear is 334163 from the ramsey cat.
if the alu housings are destroyed, there is no sense in attempting to rebuild the winch. there's just too much liability if anything went wrong and it doesn't matter if you are doing this for yourself or commercially. google up "pierce sales" and check out their budget level winches. your hyd motor shouldn't have been harmed and can be bolted to a new winch assy. this is one area "doing it right" is critical.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not using that winch. I'm using the Ramsey 200 pto winch that I bought for almost nothing. That winch was hardly ever used so the internals are in excellent shape and has a wider spool which I prefer. It's my plan to use the hydraulic worm shaft out of the old winch unless someone has a hyd worm shaft that works with a 60-1 gear for real cheap. The 60-1 setup may have a slower winch feed speed but would make up for it in lower stress of the winch assembly.

bayou250

Reaction score
mi was coming back from working with my 91 dually dump and had a load of item 4 for my driveway,so anyway i see one of my dads friends in his old petebroke down. so we chained up but it gets better he was pulling a d6 dozer. towed him back to his shop. i wish i recorded it all for you guys to see. oh i almost forgot the best part i passed a duramax pullin a horse trailer lol go ford baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Heaviest load we've had on one in a long time.

Attachments

• 100_22701.JPG
    100_22701.JPG
    237.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 100_22771.JPG
    100_22771.JPG
    290.1 KB · Views: 19

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Thats a 38ft all steel flatbed. The truck overheated all the way down and back. Let me tell ya it was a long trip. Of course the temp outside was 108*+ both days, and the only places we had trouble was going up large inclines. Most of the way in Kansas the Pyro was over 1050* and we pegged it up to darn near 1200* once.
Im guessing the load on the trailer was around 5,000lbs and the trailer itself probably weighs about the same.
Aside from the overheating issue, I was VERY impressed with both the truck and the trailer. Makes me remember why I love these trucks so much.

Forgot to add the truck bed was completely full of stuff as well, including spare tires/wheels, 6 heavy chains, tool box of tools, two floor jacks, two bottle jacks, other misc stuff, and a 150 gallon tank full of fuel.
So it was loaded up pretty good for it being this engines first real run at something.

4x4TruckinGirl

"Cowgirl"
Reaction score
How'd I miss this thread? Weighed in at 23,480 on the scale towin' that gooseneck flatbed full of cars n' junk! :D

bayou250

Reaction score
thats cool.yea that bad 108 degree weather? damn when we pulled that pete it was only like 80. like i said idi all the way

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7