How do I improve mileage on #2 diesel?

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always hate winter because when they bring out the #2 diesel for the winter, the price goes up (40 cents this year) and my mileage drops from 13-14 mpg to less than 12 most of the time.

What can I do to improve my mileage on #2? Does Diesel Kleen help with that at all, or 2 stroke oil maybe?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
ghunt,

It is actually #1 or a mix of #1 and #2 for winter. And unfortunatly, no I do not think there is anything you can do.... You may be able to get #2 (Summer Fuel) from a truck stop, on the big truck side, but you MUST!!!! treat it with anti-gel..... #2 gells at a warmer temp than #1. But #1 has a lower BTU content than an equal amount of #2... so it takes "more fuel" to do the same amount of work.... this is why you have less power, lower fuel economy and the engine probally runs quieter, as the "explosion" is not as powerful. I hate to say it, but personally, I would rather deal with the #1 or the mix and still treat the fuel. Beats the he!! out of walking when you gel!!!!!!!

Rot Box

Northern Utah
Reaction score
I agree I don't think there is much you can do in the way of fuel. A good dose of Howes per fill up is a smart idea though.

Plugging in at night will help, and also (and I know I could get flamed to no end for this one :eek:) installing a winter front to keep your engine temp up where it should be will help as well. I've picked up extra mpg during winter with Synthetic oil/gear lube but often the payoff isn't worth the extra cost.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I agree I don't think there is much you can do in the way of fuel. A good dose of Howes per fill up is a smart idea though.

Plugging in at night will help, and also (and I know I could get flamed to no end for this one :eek:) installing a winter front to keep your engine temp up where it should be will help as well. I've picked up extra mpg during winter with Synthetic oil/gear lube but often the payoff isn't worth the extra cost.

Mine as cold as it been i have been lucky if the engine stays at 140 degrees, but i only have a 180 degree thermorstat

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Makes a good point for stockpiling fuel during the summer. Wish we could afford to do that. LOL

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I go to Vermont in two weeks I am going to fill up my 103 gallon transfer tank with good 'ole Florida diesel, if I can get all the tractor fuel out of it. That should get me up there and about half the way back. I'm going to try out this Howe's stuff y'all have been talking about and see how it goes.

Black dawg

Reaction score
I always hate winter because when they bring out the #2 diesel for the winter, the price goes up (40 cents this year) and my mileage drops from 13-14 mpg to less than 12 most of the time.

What can I do to improve my mileage on #2? Does Diesel Kleen help with that at all, or 2 stroke oil maybe?

mix 50/50 with filtered wmo

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
i run #2 winter till 10 degrees then 50/50 to -20 below and then #1 for extended sub zero. our town pump her offers you all 3 at the pump. and red dye. but you didnt see that lol. i was getting like 17 pulling my trailer to tennessee till i hit sioux falls and the price dropped 30 cents and i got up to round 22. amazing. i thought bout filling up while im down here before i head back but id be afraid it would gel even with the diesel kleen or stanadyne.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
i run #2 winter till 10 degrees then 50/50 to -20 below and then #1 for extended sub zero. our town pump her offers you all 3 at the pump. and red dye. but you didnt see that lol. i was getting like 17 pulling my trailer to tennessee till i hit sioux falls and the price dropped 30 cents and i got up to round 22. amazing. i thought bout filling up while im down here before i head back but id be afraid it would gel even with the diesel kleen or stanadyne.

If you fill up in TN and try to depend on Stanadyne or Diesel Kleen going north to MT then you can be sure you will gel up but if you use Howes with a nice double dose, then no worries

OnDaRoad

On the road ....
Reaction score
Up to $3.79 a gallon along I-90

Just drove across I-94 & I-90 thru Minnesota, North Dakota,
Montana, Idaho .....

Today I am north of Seattle near Anacortes, WA

Saw #2 as high as $3.79 a gallon :eek:

Filled last night at $3.49 a gallon north of Seattle off I-5

In Montana - Clark stations had at least (4) choices
of diesel from straight #1 to straight #2

Apparently #1 diesel can have a cetane rating as high
as 55 - above that it does not make a difference in
performance or fuel economy

The thinking is - the higher the cetane rating then the
hotter the burn and the higher the m.p.g.

Trouble is - the cetane level was not known at any station
for the differents bends :dunno

Out of curiousity I tried straight #1 for a couple hundred miles
with no difference in m.p.g. or performance ;Really

I run double dose of Howe's in every tank

Jim

Attachments

• Dieselblend.jpg
    Dieselblend.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 49

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
^ never seen so many options at one pump! :shocked:

I agree, the station I normally use had 2 dedicated diesel pumps. One with a nozzle on each side, of off-road fuel, died red... the other pump has a nozzle on each side, of on-road taxed diesel. You still have to push the diesel button to pump fuel.......