how do I check the condition of my clutch on a 93 7.3?

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has a shimmy when I first let out the clutch, I was wondering if there was an inspection port somewhere? Also when I replace the clutch should I replace the flywheel also or is it generally ok?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it may be a dmf, (read up)
At 220k its a candidate for a new clutch
Look under the bellhousing for a insp. cover
Cruize the stickies for smf v dmf choices
The dmf has springs if shifted to soon it will "shimmie"
How does it pull a load?

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it pulls fine, I pulled around 10,000#'s a little over a month ago and my new 5500# travel trailer 200 miles last week with no issues, just the shimmy when starting in 1st gear, no other vibrations after getting started. I hear all the horror stories about them flying apart and would like to change it with a stock clutch kit this fall. Would like to buy the parts and have my friend who is an amazing mechanic put it in for me. Figure I can have the main seal replaced at the same time for good measure. Would like to inspect the flywheel to see if it needs replacing along with the other parts. She's nearing 250k with the original clutch.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You will need a new flywheel if it has 250k on it. They wear and can't be re-surfaced, and they can't be rebuilt either(shame though). You will probably end up swapping in a solid retro-fit flywheel and clutch assembly, unless you want to spend the money on a new DMF flywheel(that's what you have now). That's what fly's apart, the flywheel. Be ready for a little bit of noise if you go to the retro-fit flywheel though.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
If you're talking about what I think you are, that's normal. Just the clutch grabbing while you're letting off the pedal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Yes and no. You wouldn't notice the difference unless you tore down the Trans for inspection.
Most making more noise, yes. But with proper floor insulation and shifter boot, it's not that noticeable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the noise so much but don't want to shorten the life of the transmission, I use the truck for hauling quite often and would hate to ruin it. Thanks for all the info by the way!

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Oil on the friction material from a leaky rear main can make it chatter.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get under there and pull the inspection cover off. Put the tranny in neutral(make sure to block the wheels and or put the e-brake on) and then reach up and try to wiggle the pressure plate back and forth. I forget what acceptable play is, but I bet with 250,000 it has a lot of play.

There is no solid connection between the engine and the trans, only friction material and springs. That's how the dmf works. It wears with the clutch.