how difficult is it to replace 4x4 front wheel bearings

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've rebuilt trailer hubs plenty of times, but the front hub of my 1993 4x4 250 looks more challenging. Is it hard to get the hub out? also is it just 2 races to press out and new ones back in and new bearings like a standard trailer?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya pretty much like a trailer just bigger. You may need a special socket for the big nuts that hold the thing together

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy job. you need the special socket for the bearing retainer ring; the rest of the job you will know intuitively.

For driving the big seal in it is nice to have a press to get it started straight but not impossible with a block and a BFH.

Sledgehammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In a pinch you can use a chisel to loosen that big nut but a socket is far better. Don't go buy a socket that big. They make special spindle nut sockets out of lighter material that are much cheaper to purchase. There is a torque spec for putting the spindle nut back on but a lot of them never get it. I don't know off hand what that torque is.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So long as you do not run into any major problems it's easy.

I got a bad bad bad one recently that well, was ***** to deal with.

Now I'd encourage you to use the proper socket, rent one at parts store or buy one if you plan on keeping truck or buying another.

Torque bearings correctly, there is a reason they have a setting, and DON"T QUOTE me but IIRC 50 Lbs Ft is about right I just cannot recall for certain and I lent my FORD manuals out to Guy.

If yer stuck post the problem, we are here to help.

texcl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to hear, I'll check around to see if I can get that socket. I see the hub assemblies aren't too expensive worse comes to worse.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4x4 locking assembly requires removing a snap ring on end of axel shaft and a pita wire ring in a groove in hub snout.