How common are burnt valves?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Marty... That rusty fuel is not a problem. What your seeing is the fuel running out of the injecter nut and washing out the small rust thats on the line and nut. Thats not in the fuel system. Remember thats leaking out and not in. So slow down about draooping a full tank of fuel and cleaning out a tank. The bottom of your fuel filter has a water in fuel sender. As it fills with water the lite on the dash lites up telling you this. We have a drain under the filter to let out any water too. Sadly your turbo is shot and I would not run that another minute. Its way out of balance and these turbos spin upwards of 120,000 rpm. Thats 2000 rpm per second. Typ4 aka Russ can rebuild that for you better than most shops and he stands behind what he does too.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As Gary said...about the fuel...

Replace FUEL FILTER Immediately for one! Get a second one at same time for behind seat JIC

Now do an advanced search for my username and TECH 101 as the key words and look for Diesel purge. That may be something you want to do before throwing a bunch of money at this machine, for the price of 3 bottles of Lubro Moly Diesel Purge and some clear lines and a container it's not a bad way to do a quick clean of injection system.

If it's good enough for Mercedes...should be fine for our engines!

Don't run that turbo like Gary said idle ok but not running it hard. As well Russ will treat you decent!

JM2CW

Al

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
ALWAYS, I repeat, always disconnect the battery before working on your vehicle. This really put a new perspective on Johnny Cash, Ring of Fire.... That was most definitely a first time for me, rings now safely in my pocket, after it was flung across the driveway to get it off my hand quick fast and in a hurry.

1994 Crew Cab F-350, 7.3L idi Turbo Diesel, 4x4, auto, DRW, Tollesboro, Ky

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So what were you doing that close to a hot source. Your much luckier than some that foud this out too late working near the power cable at the starter. Those 2000 amps will melt the ring to your finger. Now thats gonna leave a mark forever... If you get to keep that ring finger...

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was pulling the intake hat and compressor housing.... So I'll leave the source out there lol, the wheel has play, so definitely need a rebuild on the turbo.... So not looking forward to taking that thing off, and going to need a new wastegate actuator, as pic shows.
the neglect this truck has had is truelly disheartening, previous owner buys beauty covers for the duallies, and new glow plugs, but as long as it starts and looks good, no worries right :(

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so here's the intake, this is the amount of oil I get from the cdr, is it a bad can or bad motor? And what is the purpose of the hole that joins with the turbos pedestal/oil drain? The cdr tube is wet with oil, if that information helps, I am 100% positive it is not leaking from the turbo. Thanks everyone for your input, my mind is somewhat at rest, knowing I have the combined knowledge of all of you guys (the part of my mind not at rest is thinking about how much of my paycheck it's going to take to get my truck lined out lol)

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ALWAYS, I repeat, always disconnect the battery before working on your vehicle. This really put a new perspective on Johnny Cash, Ring of Fire.... That was most definitely a first time for me, rings now safely in my pocket, after it was flung across the driveway to get it off my hand quick fast and in a hurry.

Curious ....

Was that a spinner ring? Looks like it..

Smashed one once onto my finger...it swelled up...had to cut it off with a zip cut off wheel on my dremel LOL that was fun..NOT..

I'm versed in said calamities...

Glad you didn't get too damaged.

Now did that ring make that mark on the waste gate by any chance? LOL Sure looks like it may have!;Poke

Thanks for sharing and good luck with the build and keep pics coming!

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol no it's one of the titanium rings from Walmart, my wife says not to work in it because of I smash my finger it'll have to be frozen and cut off.... I think I'll listen next time that thing was blazing hot in a split second, I was doing the *** *** dance slinging my hand trying to get it off, lol. So I've got the turbo off now and I see exactly what everyone means by the squashed downpipe. Next is the ip to come off.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And no the hot fire on the glow plug relay had pulled out on the previous owner and he just stuck it back in an was satisfied, I crimped a new end on it when I saw it. It is remarkable how these motors can survive through such idiots. Lol

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
here's so far today, turbo, and ip are off, and discovered that the v-band clamp to the downpipe was loose enough to spin before I put a socket on it... Wow. And that taking the fuel lines off on both ends makes ip pump removal a lot easier lol (I'm sure this is common knowledge) And did Ford use gasket maker for the pumps gear cover or has this truck had an ip replacement before, I had black rtv between the cover and intake, and the front cover that accesses the bolts to remove the ip from the drive gear had rtv as well.

TahoeTom

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like you removed the IP gear cover and gear. That makes putting things back together much more difficult. The timing marks on IP gear and cam gear need to be aligned and it is hard to see the marks on the cam gear. Yes on the rtv for both places.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I had actually started to think about that after the fact, I was literally thinking... Hmmm, these have to be timed to the motor.... So that must mean I'm going to have to roll this thing to Tdc and set some timing marks... Well crap! Oh well, I'm going to pay to have that done anyways.... Lol let someone else go through the hassle of timing it, I don't have a light and I'm not buying it for a one time use.

idi_Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing that, that is some great information. Will definitely come in handy lol

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
That is not unusual when you crack the lines. Collect a jar of fuel from the schrader valve on the fuel head and see what that looks like.