How big of tires....

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, the truck came stock with 265/70/r17's....... The rims look narrow.... But what is the largest tire I can get on there....

285/75?????? or bigger

Also, will this mess up the torqshift......

The Hunter

Reaction score
I have 285/75 16 BFG Muds on my 99 SD. Got lots of room on stock wheels. Would think you could go to a 305 if they make such a size to fit 17" wheels. Go & contact the Tire Rack. They are the gurus of tire fitment in the world!

Look at the new Bridgestone Revo II's . Put them on my sons truck... night & day! Love them.

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL, yeah, this was a month ago.. I put on 35's and the torqshift is thrilled.. I can not even tell the tires are there... Pulling with it is great..... I would never go to anything smaller...

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your dealer should be able to reprogram for the 35" tires. That is the largest diameter they can do. If you want to take the directions with to the dealer let me know. I had my truck reprogrammed for the 33" BGF MT I have on my truck. The service writer said they couldnot do it something about their computer talking to my truck. I gave them the directions and in 20 minutes later they had my truck reprogrammed. Keith

ISurvivedNMU

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since im only off 4 mph, I do not think it effects the drivability, and I keep my warranty a little longer... I just gor done with my first tow at 1,600 miles.. and I did not even notie the larger tires.... The truck just gave r hell... but it was only 8,000 pounds.... But i did have to finess it into 5th gear at 55-60, it wanted to stay in 4th... but over 60, droppd right into 5th...

my dealer said they could not do it either, just incase ould you post the instructions, or pm them to me... Thanks

ktpauley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up sizing affects the shift points and throws the ABS system off. Here are the directions.

Special Service Message 11789 & 11790 from 7/29/99.

1) Ensure all harness connections are plugged in.

2) Using Rotunda New Generation Star (NGS) scanner and Version 3.2 or higher Service Card, Plug into the DCL connector. [ADDED: Do not use a service card version later than early 2001 model year. This will not work if you try to use a service card dated after the 2002 models came out. But it will work on 2002 or earlier trucks if you use a Service Card for 2001 or earlier SuperDuties.]

3) Turn Key on w/Engine Off.

4) Select Service Bay Functions

5) Select ABS Module or 4WABS Module depending on application.

6) Select Tire Size/Axle Ratio Configure.

7) Enter tire manufacturer's specification of revs/mile (tire revolutions per mile) into the NGS as the REV.PER MILE figure.
• [ADDED: To be even more accurate, enter the following rev/mile:

For 285/75R16 tires enter 00636
For 295/75R16 tires enter 00626
For 315/75R16 tires enter 00601

Do not try to enter a number less than 00601.]

8) Select Tone Ring size and verify that 120 is programmed in.

9) Select <Option> and press TRIGGER.

10) Select <Vehicle> and press TRIGGER.

11) Press <Done> and the Module will be reprogrammed.

12) Check Speedo accuracy.

Keith

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online