hot motor hard start and no power

parttime379ex

Reaction score
alright guys friday on the way home from work i noticed a little more black smoke than usuall when i got on it to pass somebody. saturday truck started right up and was 23 this morning and while we were hunting alot of shuting off and starting back up (running dogs) and it started getting hard to start back up as the morning went on and felt like it had no power and not boosting up like normal and then it wouldnt crank at all just spining over and over.finally after letting it sit for about 30 mins. it fired back up but was slow catching. now that i have made it home and let the truck sit for about a hour i went out and it started right up like it should.well this morning (Sunday) i went to town to get some breakfast and the truck started right up first thing never shut the truck off while in town,but after i got back to the house i shut the truck off and it was very hard to start and also i noticed that the transmission was shifting harder than normal.the engine runs smooth and doesnt have a miss.also its raining today and when i took off at the light it wouldnt even break traction just tried to see if there was a problem with power and there definitely is.no CEL light,so what could cause this?

parttime379ex

Reaction score
well i took it by the dealer today, have a buddy that is the diesel tech there and these are the codes that it was giving us at first
PO266 Injector 2
PO278 Injector 6
P2290 IPC ?i think that is what he said it was

then we cleared them up and then we only got the PO278 again after driving about a mile.he also did the injector buzz test and they passed along with a glowplug test to.He said that the others would probaly come back by the time i got home.he is going to start checking it out tomorrow after work at his shop at home.he said that it could be the oil line leaking or that the 2 injectors are whats giving the P2290 code.hopefully it isnt nothing major only the injectors is the problem.he also said that if it was the HPOP it should give the codes for all the injectors and not just 2.i am glad this truck is still under the dealer 60 day/2500mile warranty.it goes out the 16th of this month.

Last edited:

parttime379ex

Reaction score
replaced #2 & #6 injectors,oil line under valve cover and the quick connect and its still doing the same thing will not start back up after its hot, wait a while and it will crank back up.the hpo line showed a sign of leaking at the connecter the mechanic said and that is why he went ahead and replaced it too and then said it wouldnt disconect from the connecter so he replaced it.icp was just replaced when the studs and headgaskets where done back last month.any other thoughts?

79 300sd

Reaction score
Sounds like my company truck when I lost 4 injectors, intake gasket, egr valve, egr cooler,and oil cooler.......all about a month after having the head gaskets done. Then 2 more injectors a couple of weeks later.

Feels like it runs on 5 or maybe 6 cylinders when accelerating until engine is up to temp right now.....probably have more bad injectors again.

06 F550 with the 6.0

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zemmeron