Horns

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Soooo today I honked the horn on my truck for the first time ever (yeah I know). Pretty whimpy if you ask me. Can anyone recommend a horn that is worthy of my 6.9l IDI? Maybe a diesel horn style sound? I'd want to stick to electric, and hopefully have it be plug-n-play. Any particular horns any of you might think might have the correct tonality?

:)

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Small air horns? You know, the kind they sell at the parts store for like $20-25? I had one of those in my old Chevy truck, and it sounded real good. Another thing, your F250 probably only has 1 horn-thing, F350s got two tho, so maybe snag a set for a 1-ton truck?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing, your F250 probably only has 1 horn-thing, F350s got two tho, so maybe snag a set for a 1-ton truck?
It may have been more of a difference between packages. My XLT F-250 had two horns from the factory...I added a third, trying to get it a bit louder.

I agree with mankypro; at least on my truck, even with the third horn added, the horn's too quiet...so quiet that I think that, if I lived in a state where routine inspections were mandatory, I'd probably fail because of it. Even before adding the turbo (and losing my exhaust system), the engine drowned out the horn...and, now, using it is a useless gesture (not that I use my horn very often anyways). For a long-term solution, I want to install an air horn (have to find a low-pitch one, though...a foghorn would be nice :D ), but I need to build an onboard air system first.

I miss the factory horn on my old '65 Chevelle...

sassyrel

Reaction score
guys, go to a old buick,cad, or large ponch--the ones that had 4 horns--put them in your truck--youll wake up!!!! :D :D

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I'm particular to big ol semi air horns. My grandpa had a set on his truck, and they're going back on as part of the restoration, and Im going to put a set on my brown truck.
But these require an air tank and pump.

I may just say screw it and buy an old horn set from a freight train, some of the people around here dont even care if you honk at them, Im sure they will with a set of those!