Homemade filter cleaner???

KZF250

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that you would for this application...never, ever mix bleach or a product containing bleach with ammonia or the gas that it creates can and will kill you.

larson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How often are you cleaning your filter?
And how often does K&N recommend cleaning it.

Every other oil change usually so about 10,000 miles.
Or if I'm bored but usually the above.
But ill be doing it more often now to see what works good around the house.

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't K&N say to go longer on cleaning intervals due to the fact that the more debris that builds up on the filter absorbs oil and helps filter better?... Plus a new filter doesn't filter as well as a partially "dirty" filter, and that is why you should use the "filter minder" gauge.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have not tried it on my K&N filter, have just used the K&N stuff. I use no-toil on my foam air cleaner on my bike. Stuff is amazing add the cleaner to hot water, dip the filter in water and its clean. Only works with no-toil oil, but I have heard the cleaner can be substituted for oxy-clean.

Andertusa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that you would for this application...never, ever mix bleach or a product containing bleach with ammonia or the gas that it creates can and will kill you.

Yes, what he said, it makes the potentially deadly mustard gas, so, no mixing with bleach.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my K&N cleaning method:
Spray on simple green full strength on filter till it is soaked. Let sit for a bit as you fill a bucket or sink with warm-hot water and simple green solution. Place the filter in the solution with dirty side facing down (if it's a panel filter not round. I have ATS 085 so it's a panel.) the dirt/grime will basically just fall out. Let it soak for 1/2-1 hour then rinse with warm water from the inside out, further pushing the dirt out. Then let it dry. Compressed air can mess up the cotton gauze so I generally just let it air dry, or use a hair dryer on cold if I'm in a hurry. From my experience, simple green works way better than the K&N cleaner.