Homemade diesel

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys so I've been makin bio diesel with a friend of mine were using soy bean oil an egts dropped 125-150 degrees motor lost 5 degrees fuel mileage is better by 1-3 mpg. Now for the kicker it's as quiet as my friends 99 stroker!!!! Why? Is this normal it sounds so good I could swear if it was knocking it would be silent? Anyways all vouge that it's good stuff boost seems to come one a second or two faster as well! But why do quiet?

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you running straight soy oil or did you process it ? The cooking oils have more "lube" than petrol-diesel, which in return will make you run quieter.
Its better for your engine, if you have original rubber you will need to eventually replace it with bio. compatable stuff.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
I've heard that even post processed bio diesel lubes significantly better than ULSD.

I agree, I think you're hearing a better lubed fuel system.

Exekiel69

Reaction score
That is what I feel when I drop a qt of atf on the fuel tank.
AFAIK, bio diesel is the one fuel/additive that lubes best.

smolkin

Stuck inside Mobile
Reaction score
I've always run quieter with homemade B100 but also experience 1-2mpg loss. Then again, I'm n/a. This kinda makes me want a turbo now.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Yup, I always run quieter on a bio blend. Its almost as if you can hear the pump taking a sigh of relief with the added lube

tanman_2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, IP is lubed and injector POP is quieted by lube too.

Unused veggie (not used in cooking) is top of the line and has better cetane and lube. This would be the reason some see slight losses on WVO but see increase in performances with CLEAN Veggie

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean oil an process it through a hot water tank works well washed and dry time about 3-4 days. It's kinda a copper red dye diesel look no real stinky long last smell when spilled. I am really impressed with the out come. There's about 2.50 a gallon. Also yes a bit thicker than diesel but I would think its perfect kinda like 2clyle oil thickness.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also Kevin I agree I swear my truck seems to be happier and honestly the emission issue with the black smoke that people wine about this stuff is kinda light grey but not bad I also maxed my pump and it's nice not any smoke unless I'm on it.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Besides more lube, I would guess that the quiet is also a result of higher viscosity.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I havent done any in quite some time due to my health, but I was one of the early experimenters with SVO systems and running highly filtered WVO my cars would run better and usually get just slightly better fuel mileage. This is on thoroughly settled highly cold filtered down to 2 micron WVO that was WAY cleaner than pump fuel ( cold filtered so it would catch any heavy fats at the pre filtering and not have to worry about it on the vehicle took MUCH longer to process, but zero vehicle problems). Usually some timing adjustment needed for veg to run at its best. I cant for the life of me remember which way, it's just been too long.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
http://naldc.nal.usda.gov/download/271/PDF

veggie oils may be bad for your heart, but they are good for your truck... :D

I have always had the same result, no matter which vehicle I run the BioD in. We can readily get B99 around up here. The first tank full or two tends to loosen up alot of crud and plug the fuel filter on my trucks. It did solve my heat soaked pump issue on the brown truck, though.

If you've got an afternoon to kill, read this...

http://www.nrel.gov/vehiclesandfuels/npbf/pdfs/24772.pdf

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes 99 are pretty quiet as to the rattle noise like a 12v or early stroker his is loud when on the gas but it's dual 5in mbrp. Just idle noise. I think it's the lube an viscosity. Anyways great stuff. Sparkland my filters new so should I change it soon? 4 tank full running through. Also all o rings an complete fuel system lines are brand new.