Homemade diesel

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Devon - Just carry a spare filter with you. That's what saved me on my brown truck, I was sitting in a parking lot in Stinson Beach on a sunday afternoon, middle of no where, no parts houses in sight. Truck had NO power, would die trying to back it out of the lot. Pulled the filter and a whole mess of gelatinous goo came out. New filter was behind the seat, got me and my kid home... ;Sweet

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Devon - Just carry a spare filter with you. That's what saved me on my brown truck, I was sitting in a parking lot in Stinson Beach on a sunday afternoon, middle of no where, no parts houses in sight. Truck had NO power, would die trying to back it out of the lot. Pulled the filter and a whole mess of gelatinous goo came out. New filter was behind the seat, got me and my kid home... ;Sweet

Not to hijack, and this is probably just another crazee thought, but has anyone ever tried reverse flushing a truck filter? I mean with an old filter head mounted on a bracket and gravity feed gasoline or some kind of cleaning agent through it backwards? These IDI filters aren't cheap......but IPs and injector aren't either... cookoo

Devon, a couple of posters have mentioned timing so far as the engine quietness. I know your WVO, but I have read somewhat on WMO, and it seems that some think that advancing the timing a little with WMO gets the truck back to where it was on D2. I guess the idea is the difference in the burn temperature. Just a thought.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do sparkland. Thanks. Also dizelcrazee I noticed that I hope to check it with a friends meter to see where it's at it was about a degree to advanced when I started so I'm hoping it retarded it to where it needs to be. Lol I know it can't be a perfect time but soon as I can get a meter I will be checking it's status.

Black dawg

Reaction score
Not to hijack, and this is probably just another crazee thought, but has anyone ever tried reverse flushing a truck filter? I mean with an old filter head mounted on a bracket and gravity feed gasoline or some kind of cleaning agent through it backwards? These IDI filters aren't cheap......but IPs and injector aren't either... cookoo

Devon, a couple of posters have mentioned timing so far as the engine quietness. I know your WVO, but I have read somewhat on WMO, and it seems that some think that advancing the timing a little with WMO gets the truck back to where it was on D2. I guess the idea is the difference in the burn temperature. Just a thought.

back flushing a filter with gas actually works pretty good.

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see the weather that you probley see pre powerstroke but I have zero problems starting in the morning or starting 2 days later after sitting. The thickness is about like hot syrup it's almost like diesel but not that thin. I will say on the two day start the power was down a lil tell it warmed up to 160 an it was ready to roll. My favorite thing is the black smoke which there isnt any which I like!

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if they are still operating or not, but I did the plant layout and some of the design for a 3 million gallon/year biodiesel plant for Earthbound farms there in San Jose back in 2008(I think - I do remeber it was right after EB farms got all the nationwide publicity for the salmonella in the spinach). It was on Stockton Ave just south of intersection with McKendrie. Just south of I-880 and the airport.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score

Not so much for the purpose of cleaning veg out, it hadnt exactly hit the scene yet, but filter washing USED to be a huge business back 25 years ago and more. There used to be a number of companies in most major cities where you would find a lot of truck fleets that would offer filter washing, some would only do air filters but many would wash fuel and oil filters as well. For fleets it was a way to cut service costs, they would trade out cases of the things with the washer drop of a case of dirties and pick up a case of cean, usually tripple the life of the average filter. they would flow test each one after cleaning to see if the media was still good for another cycle.. I never did the oil or fuel filters, but I used to have a spare and would get my air filter washed on my old 72 Kenworth . Saved a bundle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online