7.3 IDI Noise

Mattc2066

Reaction score
So I just got this truck, I know nothing about the 7.3 IDI and I know absolutely nothing about these forums, so this is all new to me. I have read info in forums before and some folks can be unhelpful and seem to only be there to run their mouth, so if thats you dont waste your energy you will be ignored.

So to the point, The truck is a 1989 F-SuperDuty with the 7.3 IDI, Banks Sidewinder Turbo, Electric fuel pump conversion, the Injection pump is turned up just shy of 90 degress, about 85 degrees. I dont want to go any higher until I have an EGT gauge. It has the ZF5 trans, upgraded flywheel (I am told the original was a pita and always had issues). It has 247k miles on what seems to be the original engine. The injectors, injection pump, Glow plugs, Glow plug control (or whatever its called) complete A/C system, complete cooling system, clutch master and slave, bigger alternator are all brand new.

So with that information, I am hearing a knock or tick. Its not super loud just annoying. It reacts with RPM. I have cracked the fuel line loose on the top of every injector and listened for changes. The idle drops and it misses with every one I take loose but the tick/knock never goes away or gets lighter. Power seems to be good, idle is smooth, No smoke whatsoever at any load or throttle position when boosting. slight puff of black if I qiuckly floor it but as soon as boost builds its clear again. Never smokes on start up and it never has a start up issue no matter how cold it always fires up faster than I can take my hand off the switch. When I hit the interstate and do 65MPH (3k RPM) for a mile or two then jump off the interstate the sound goes away, after 3 to 5 miles of low RPM driving it slowly comes back. I am told that it may be normal and that the 7.3 IDI is just a noisy engine. I will ad a video of the truck below that I put on youtube. Thank you for any help.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

gnathv

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think it may be an exhaust leak being it goes away after heating it up and then comes back when it cools? I’d get a flashlight and look for soot around manifolds, uppipes, turbo mount flange Etc

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
From what I could hear, it sounds normal to me. What I did notice was that there's a red light in the lower, right hand corner of your instrument cluster that appears to come on at higher RPM. If it's your fuel filter light, your e pump may not be able to keep up with the fuel demand.

Mattc2066

Reaction score
From what I could hear, it sounds normal to me. What I did notice was that there's a red light in the lower, right hand corner of your instrument cluster that appears to come on at higher RPM. If it's your fuel filter light, your e pump may not be able to keep up with the fuel demand.
Yeah i noticed that also, it is the filter light. It doesnt happen all the time, usually in 4th gear. I asked banks about the pump and they said it is the correct one for the application, maybe the filter is just dirty?

Farmer Rock

just a fella' without a 10mm socket
Reaction score
It sounds normal to me as well.
From what you describe though, it almost sounds like the timing is too advanced.
If it is too advanced, you will hear a slight knock very similar to injector knock.

Rock

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yes. Try changing the fuel filter first. Then you can work on that issue as you get to it or if it gets worse. That's assuming that changing the fuel filter doesn't stop the light from coming on.