Home made grille guard

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
I've been wanting to do this for a while on the '89 and I even made cardboard templates a long time ago so last week, I found an amish outfit near my house that does oil well drilling stuff and fabrication and I gave them the template and they said they could cut them out.

I picked the material up friday and the grand total came to $40. I was shocked that I could get (2) 3/8" plate side pieces, (2) H.D 2.5"x36" pipe, and (1) 8.5' 3/16"x1" bar all for $40! All pre-cut to MY specs.

Anyways, I tacked everything up on friday and finish welded it all saturday and painted it today with the Rustoleum "Hammed" finish paint.

If the pics don't work, I'll uploaded them to Photobucket and put them on here.

Attachments

• 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    662 KB · Views: 83
  • 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    828.7 KB · Views: 70

dieselrunner

Reaction score
Looks great, I also like the "DIESEL" plus the "4X4" emblems. Ever think about adding some wrap-around bars over the headlights?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That is just plain nice;Sweet:hail:hail:hail.
Might just have yourself a new sideline there.

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I wasn't going to do the wrap around bars cause I'd have to get the pipes bent and it would hide the "diesel" and "4x4" badges. Plus, I like the looks of straight grille guards, too many showy "full" guards around here.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
looks great i been wanting something similar for my truck, but i cant justify paying lmc 200+ so i think i will go your route and make one

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Good work ;Sweet. Looking at this nice pics reminds Me Some day I'll have My dream front bumper too :sly

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man, that looks like it belongs there from the factory! Oh, one thing, them wraparound bars are nice for pushing stuff around, ya know, stuff like shopping carts at the Walmart :D

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
When I was installing the cross bars, I tried to get the ford emblem as close in the middle as possible. Now that I'm looking at some of the stock grille guards here in town, they look like the ford emblem is way close to the top bar.....I like mine the way it is :D

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
Real nice work! I am wanting something like that as well, looks nice and sturdy as well!

:sly

F350farmboy

The Hornet
Reaction score
I peeked at a truck with a factory guard on my way to school and it used the one factory bolt on both sides of the license plate and 2 new holes on the top, flatter part of the bumper.

So the 2 holes on the bottom were already there, and I drilled 2 holes for the top mounting tabs.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
not bad looking. nice and clean.

i moved another step forward in getting my business going today but starting the legal setup...

once i get up and going it will be easy enough to make these and sell them as a DIY kit

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin