Home From Regina Sask.... Wow....

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well we got home Tuesday morning around 6:30 am. We drove 24 hours straight from Bozeman Mont because one of the horses had a temp. Being in the trailer with three others we felt it best to get them home before all of them got a fever on the road... Not the best things to happen on the road.... The truck we drove was a 2005 6.0 4x4 dually. Just as towcat said, the interoir was plush and it felt good. It took me some time to figure out the dash too. The power was great but... The fuel mileage was terrible. The average was 10 mph going up there but only 9 mpg going home. The power is there too. Only once did it need second gear pulling a grade going into east Yellowstone on highway 20. Its a short cut from the I15 to Bozeman Mont that we use. All in all the truck ran great. The only thing I didn't like was the trans down shifting while slowing down going down a grade. One time the rpms reached about 3600 rpm at around 60 mph. The speedo was found to be fast also. We found it to read 52 seconds for 70 mph when it should have been 48 seconds. Overall I really liked the truck. No... I wont be buying one because I don't like all the electronics but it is a really nice truck. The hotel we stayed in couldn't handle such a tall or long truck so they had "special parking" for us. It was a living hell trying to negosiate into that parking. Lots of pulling forwards and backwards just to get thru the crossing gates.... I seem to have splet for days now trying to catch up but feeling better now. The wife flew home (on her broom) and my daughter that flew up drove home with me. That was a really nice father daughter road trip. Something I will always remember and smile about. She had never driven a 6 horse gooseneck trailer but fell right into it. No easing into it either. She drove about 300 miles the first time and it was great. She even was passing big rigs and smileing at them.... What a girl.... Anyway I'l try to catch up on whats gong on here and start posting when I'm rested up.....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you guys had really nice trip. It's always good to spend time with the family. I'm glad you guys had a safe trip there and back.;Sweet

Heath

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the quality time that counts wherever you can get it. My daughter and I went to Chicago for a week vacation and the Lollapalooza festival. On the last night was the big thunder and lightning storm that also brought tornados to Illinois. We ended up having an 2 and a half hour conversation about anything and everything. That was the most important part of the trip to me.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your milage with the 6.0 is typical. Empty they might get 12 I'm told. :***: was Ford and IH thinking? Talk about rushing a product to market.... :rolleyes: That motor is a black sheep unfortunately. Even the 6.9 lasted longer.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it was only the Ford version that sucked. I was told the IH VT365 did just fine, but of course at least in 03 emissions standards were relaxed a bit at the medium duty level. 12 mpg might have been ok with .50/gallon diesel of 20 years ago or more but not with 3-4 bux or more per gal. Are you sure that's the best people are doing with the 6.0?

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
those 6.0s have never gotten that great of milage. boss has one on the farm totally stock with only around 50,000 miles on it and the best they get is around 11 but it has a deweze flatbed on it. and when its loaded it usually only gets around 8 or 9 mpg..

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
My inlaws' 04 Got 19 +- when they got it. They had some =thing fixed on recall and now it gets 17+-. It's a CC short bed automatic. Not sure what gearing is or what was offered on those.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome back Gary

Your milage with the 6.0 is typical. Empty they might get 12 I'm told. :***: was Ford and IH thinking? Talk about rushing a product to market.... :rolleyes: That motor is a black sheep unfortunately. Even the 6.9 lasted longer.

I got 8.5 - 10 loaded and 15-16 empty with my '06, the 6.4 is the one I'm hearing horror stories about 8 loaded and 12 empty... Even had a Ford salesman in North Dakota tell me I didn't want an '08 with the 6.4 when I had my 6.0 in for service:rotflmao .... And people wonder why I traded my Ford for a Goat:love:

If I ever get another Ford I will buy a gasser and drop in a Cummins.

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
It sounds like with the 6.0, you either get a really good one, or a really bad one. I've heard figures from 5 mpg to 20 mpg. I've heard that they came out with a new flash for the 6.4 that has been doing wonders for mileage, and at least it's been more reliable than the 6.0

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I got 8.5 - 10 loaded and 15-16 empty with my '06, the 6.4 is the one I'm hearing horror stories about 8 loaded and 12 empty... Even had a Ford salesman in North Dakota tell me I didn't want an '08 with the 6.4 when I had my 6.0 in for service ....

Agreed, my flight instructor has an '06 that he says gets in the 18 mpg ballpark. Where in ND?

Thad

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I have been driving my parents 08 6.4 since my truck's been down. Lets just say its best milage is like my trucks worst :D

I've been driving easy and its been getting 15mpg....and I mean easy. With dpf deletes they can get upper teens or lower twenties. If I was to live in the valley and not have to commute up the hill to my house....it would probably be around 16mpg.

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
believe it or not it isnt ford or ih that's at fault for the 6.0 and the faults of the 6.4 ( hate to bear bad news but it isnt great, a damn site better but still no 7.3 powerstroke) Its the f*cking epa nazis. we had an engineer in at work the 3rd or 4th day I was at work and I asked him on my smoke break about all the bs surrounding these motors. Its the ulsd, take a 6.0 and run a few tanks of agri fuel through it (so the computer can catch up) and suddenly it gets 25 mpg and has a **** ton of power. ALL the new diesels are this way (cat, cummins, ih, all) I love ford and my buddy is an injector engineer for cummins, He said that they arent any better in power or fuel economy.

to top it all off, all the new motors are so crammed with emissions bs its killing them, then you put this new junk they sell us for fuel and take it down even more. and you can even run alt fuel throught them without major changes or consesquences.

We have a 6.4 "off road only" in right now that has all the emissions deleted, chipped, and a 5" exhaust. it is incredible, I dont know what the mpg is but I bet its at least decent and it has way too much power (it is seriously scary, I wont drive it for fear of letting a 7k lb 4x4 dually that costs more than a few years of my rent to get "squirrely" on me.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed. If you can get away with getting most of the EPA crap off of it even with the new fuel it would probably be better.

SASKR

Reaction score
Hey there Gary, so back to your return from Regina. How did your daughter end up doing ? We left shortly after talking for the Golden Retriever Nationals in Saskatoon. All the "kids" placed well in their competitions, no high in trials or Grand Champions but well enough for gaining titles & moving up in their rankings. Till later Rick.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Hello Rick. My daughter did fine driving the dually crewcab and pulling the 6 horse gooseneck. I gave it to her in Miles City Montana and told her to just keep it between the lines around 60 mph.. Well that lasted for about 10 seconds and she was up around 75 mph keeping up with traffic.. Even passing big rigs with ease. Now driving around in a fuel stop was another deal all together. That will take much more practice but she is willing and really capable to handle it. I was really impressed with her and it made for a great father daughter road trip. We stopped in Bozeman the first nite but drove the next day 24 hours to get home. We had a horse with a cough and elevated temp so we felt it best to get all 3 home before more came down sick... As it was the temp was normal the last 24 hours and has been ever since.. Go figure... It was really great to meet up with you and talk truck treason up there... I really liked your truck too... Kinda a sleeper to look at but thats what I like. I'm really old school about trucks.... Good talking with you again..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhill5353

Members online